Mike (the Paladin)'s Reviews > Liberty and Tyranny: A Conservative Manifesto

Liberty and Tyranny by Mark R. Levin

Dec 14, 13

bookshelves: political

Conservative. That word is a bit over used you know? I mean I'm a conservative, but what does that mean to you and to anyone and everyone else for that matter? To Karen Finney on MSNBC we have been informed that "conservative Values" is code for "race".

If you believe that, you understand what a conservative is (And I suspect Clarence Thomas, Condoleezza Rice, Thomas Sowell, etc., etc might disagree with you) maybe you could take just a few minutes to rethink?

If you have an open mind and if you really want to know what a conservative is and what a conservative believes try reading this book. Whether you end by agreeing with the ideas laid out or not at least you'll understand what conservatives believe, what we think.

This is readable and straight forward. The chapters are laid out giving a sort of thumbnail look at various forms of conservatism (social conservatism, fiscal conservatism even the so called neo-con). The chapters open with a statement of what you'll be looking at in said chapter. It's a concise look at conservatism and I think one of the best of its kind that I've read.

Recommended and not only recommended but I urge you to read it especially if you really want to consider who conservatives are.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Liberty and Tyranny.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Coyle (new)

Coyle I've been thinking about picking this one up. I thumbed through it in a bookstore and was pleasantly surprised b the quality of the first couple of chapters...
Have you ever read any of Peter Viereck's work? He's the conservative I tend towards (I actually assign his book on the history of conservatism in a couple of different courses I teach: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15... )

Mike (the Paladin) Familiar with the name but haven't read anything by him, thanks.

message 3: by Fayley (new)

Fayley Funny how "conservative" means different things in different countries . Over here in Australia is doesn't describe a person's political beliefs so much as their social or religious opinions.

message 4: by Don (new)

Don Here is how I see the difference between conservatives and liberals -http://fiddlingant.blogspot.com/2013/...

Mike (the Paladin) It's apparently gone Don, nothing there.

message 6: by Fayley (new)

Fayley The Australian right wing political party are named Liberals, and you call your left wing liberals. Is it just me or is that funny?

message 7: by Don (new)

Don Must have been an incomplete link. I will try again: http://fiddlingant.blogspot.com/2013/...

Mike (the Paladin) Doesn't really strike me funny Fayley. It's just the meaning of words applied locally. The American news media (largely left wing) found it hilarious that in Russia the "Communist Party" were the "conservatives" during the shake up because they were the "existing" party.

It does give a twist to things sometimes I suppose.

Mike (the Paladin) Oh, yeah Don, it's there now.

message 10: by Fayley (new)

Fayley Oh dear, it is just me. But then, I do read dictionaries for fun. (Sorry to hijack your discussion thread)