Christa Seeley's Reviews > The Book of Lost Fragrances

Mar 01, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, genre-historical-fiction, netgalley-edelweiss
Read from March 01 to 08, 2012

Originally reviewed at Christa's Hooked on Books

The Book of Lost Fragrances, is an enchanting and mystifying book that grabbed me from the first few pages and has become one of my favourite books of 2012 so far.

For any historical fiction fan this book is a must. The central story takes place in Paris, so you get your fair share of French history, but intertwined with the French was fascinating details of Egyptian and Tibetan history. I especially loved the details about Tibet. It's not an area you get to read a lot about in literature and I loved how thorough and thoughtful M.J. Rose was when exploring their history, beliefs and current political situation.

In addition to the history, I also loved learning about the mechanics of perfume. I always knew there was a pretty detailed science behind but The Book of Lost Fragrances takes time to look at the mystery of it as well. Though Robbie is the one who takes over the family perfume business, we are told Jac is the one who truly has a nose for it. I found this incredibly interesting and often found myself wondering how good my own nose would be.

Finally, there is the mystery. There are a lot of different players through out the book and a lot of different interests at stake. In the beginning it was a little difficult to keep everyone straight, mostly because you know so little about them. But as the story continues and the mystery unfolds, many of the characters develop alongside it. M.J. Rose took the story in directions I never anticipated and the ending had me on the edge of my seat, wondering what was going to happen.

I was surprised to see this book was the fourth in a series because it reads like a stand alone. I am interested to see what the earlier books are like and how they relate to this one. This was an absolutely fabulous book to get lost in and I can only hope the other books are the same. This was my first M.J. Rose book but it definitely won't be my last.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Lost Fragrances.

03/02/2012 page 47