Ally's Reviews > The Stone Angel

F_50x66
Mar 03, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012
Read from March 01 to 03, 2012

I have ALWAYS hated this book. And again, this is less about the literary merit of the book, which is, of course, excellent, and more about the fact that I am not the kind of reader who appreciates a story about how boring and disappointing life can be. I just don't see the value in learning, too late, that you've messed everything up, and if you could, you would go back and do it differently. Not that I don't understand it's something of a universal theme, being as common as it is, but... it's one of those instances where I'm just not human enough, I don't think. I've never really felt pressure to do "the things people do." or think about "the things people say." I've BEEN pressured, of course, as I am in my twenties, disabled, female, and nonsexual or particularly inclined toward relationships, but I've never actually cared enough to listen to the pressure. I suppose I'm like John Shipley, that way. So I've always been disinclined to accept that pressure as an excuse for bad decisions. Pride is something I understand, but the pride one takes in getting everything up and beyond "everyone else's" standard has always been a mystery to me. So I remain unsympathetic, and Hagar and me (there, I said it) we don't get along. But I had to read this so I could study it for my junior University English. I had hoped now I'm all MATURE it wouldn't be as bad as the first time. I didn't hate it quite THAT much (see? two stars) but it's still just... not for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stone Angel.