Dorri's Reviews > Thief's Covenant

1916877
Mar 01, 12

bookshelves: fantasy-young-adult
Read on February 28, 2012

Browsing the bookstore a stark black, white, and sienna cover caught my attention. Reading the info on the front cover flap I learned that the girl hanging down was named Widdershins. I wasn't sure what to think of her as the bare bones info provided said she was a destitute child, turned upper class, turned theif. I'm all for a good theif's tale so I picked it up to see if the first chapter or Prologue would grab my attention.

Then it began: "The girl watched, helpless, as the world turned red below her. She clung - first to the walls above, where few could have even attempted to climb, and then to the rafters - terrified to move, to breathe, to think, lest she accidentally attract a murderous eye. No matter how she tried, no matter how hard she bit her own hand in a desperate attempt at silence, she couldn't entirely suppress her sobs. Her body shook with them; her face glistened. But any sounds she made were lost in the carnage below; any tears that fell vanished in the sheen of blood that covered the floor. Blood that, minutes before, had pumped from the hearts of men and women she knew. Men and women she loved."

A slaughter to begin the tale told in both current tense and retrospect. We learn as Adrienne Satti, now the thief Widdershins, weaves her way through the world, that she was once a destitute child who lost her parents, became a rags-to-riches girl when she was taken in by one of the wealthy men of the city (after a bit of theiving brings her to his attention), and becomes a thief who has a god named Olgun riding shotgun in her mind. Mainly because she is the last of his followers.

Throughout the story we learn that the city's thieves' guild is after her, the city guard has her on a most wanted list, the Archbishop of the Pact of the Gods is coming for a visit (and Widdershins can't quite resist the urge to steal from him), and something ominus has suddenly made her the number one target. Widdershins is in more trouble than Olgum can get her out of, but she is crafty enough to try.

I read this book in one two hour sitting. I was entranced. I do warn you, Mr. Marmell writes Widdershins story in a backwards/forwards kind of text. Make sure to read the chapter headings to find out which time you are in, because the information he is giving you is important! By the end of the book I was in tears for Widdershins and yet yelling my support. It was with great relief that I learned this will be a series. I cannot wait for more!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thief's Covenant.