Stefan's Reviews > Hide Me Among the Graves

Hide Me Among the Graves by Tim Powers

Mar 16, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, did-not-finish, fifty-page-fridays

Here's the Fifty Page Fridays mini-review I wrote about this novel:

Short version: looks like a great novel, but it's probably best if you read The Stress of Her Regard first.

Long version: click on the link above!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hide Me Among the Graves.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

William Amazon haven't sent out my copy yet, but from what I've heard I got the impression that it's only loosely a sequel to Stress. I guess it would probably sense to read Stress first, though, it's an interesting novel although I didn't think it was Powers' best work.

Kelly Yeah, I've read Stress of Her Regard, and I was just thinking the other day that this book would make NO sense if one hadn't. It's occasionally a little obfuscated anyway (intentionally, I think), and it's set many years later, but there's a lot of world-building in Stress that Powers hasn't really gone back over yet (I'm about halfway through Graves).

Stefan I kept thinking that it was one of those books that revealed its world-building details slowly, so if things didn't make sense that was just because it's how he structured the reveal and the reader should just hang on and keep going until it all clicked... but then I saw the name Trelawney pop out when I glanced over some info on GoodReads and it all started to click. Still, I think it could work as a standalone... I'm just OCD about reading things in order. Once I knew this was a very loose sequel, I couldn't keep reading. It's very well written though.

Kelly It definitely is a slow-reveal book anyway. But I think the background from Stress is what kept me from getting lost early on. It gets clearer after about 100 pages either way, I think, but the first 100 would have been much rougher going without the background. Plus the background makes some things a lot more ominous and foreshadow-y.

Callista I haven't read The Stress of Her Regard, and I didn't feel as if I was missing anything. --Though I do want to read it *now.*