Lacey's Reviews > Coraline

Coraline by Neil Gaiman

Mar 03, 2012

bookshelves: children

Coraline by Neil Gaiman was a very interesting story. Coraline lives with her parents in a house, they shared the house with very fascinating people. There are the two ladies who claim they were once actresses and are always talking about their glory days. The other neighbor is a man obsessed with mice. Coraline loves to explore and loves being outside. One day her mother will not let her go out to play because of the rain. Coraline finds a door that does not open, her mother shows her that it goes nowhere; it is just a wall of bricks from the previous building of the house. Coraline goes through the door and comes to realize her “other mother” and “other father”. The door has taken her to another world. Coraline is faced with challenges to get back to her own life and free her parents. After everything she goes through, she realizes that she has come to love her ordinary life.

I thought the story was well written. The author does a good job of keeping the reader’s attention. The setting was very interesting, as Coraline enters a door that is supposed to be just a brick wall; she enters a whole new world. The theme is compelling to the readers in a “real world” as well as in the fantasy world. Although the readers in the real world know that they could never enter into a different world through an old door in their house, it is still very compelling to read. The reader may begin to ask questions to themselves and will be obligated to keep reading to find out these answers. Many people in our real world think they have boring ordinary lives; therefore they can relate to Coraline and as they are reading imagine themselves in Coraline’s shoes. The elements of the story are quite convincing. Although as many other fantast stories, we know in reality these places and events are not possible, there is no harm in reading about them and “pretending”. The author does an excellent job at making Coraline a very relatable character that many people could see themselves as in the beginning of the story. This pulls the reader in and makes them eager to find out what happens next as they are reading. I believe the story allows the reader to suspend disbelief. The author uses his words wisely and makes the story quite believable as it is being read. I believe the author keeps a somewhat sense of logic through the book, at times it got rather creepy but it was appropriate for the created world in the story.

I enjoyed reading this book, although I found it creepy in a way. It is a very intriguing story but I am not sure if all kids would enjoy reading this. It could quite possibly scare some of them. I think if I was to use this book in my classroom I would use it if I was doing a fantasy novel unit. I would have the students to do an activity describing what would be behind their “door that doesn’t go anywhere” in their own home. It is always a good idea to get the students to use their imagination and express themselves through art and words.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Coraline.