Holjo's Reviews > The Darkest Passion

The Darkest Passion by Gena Showalter

Mar 01, 12

Read in March, 2012

Summary: This is the story of Aeron, the immortal warrior who is condemned to be possessed with the demon of wrath for his part in opening Pandora's box. Earlier in this series, Aeron had been consumed by murderous bloodlust because he was unwilling to kill Danika Ford, the beloved mate of his warrior brother Reyes. It was another of his warrior brothers, Paris, who made the ultimate sacrifice in order to remove Aeron's bloodlust. It was this sacrifice that finally allowed Aeron to return to his life again, fighting alongside his brothers.

Unfortunately, Aeron's peace is not meant to last. During his period of mental and physical torture, a tiny female demon named Legion had helped him find comfort. Her unexpected kindness caused Aeron to develop a fierce loyalty toward her. He loves her and treats her like a daughter. However, by binding her to him in that way, he also allowed Legion to escape from hell, and the punishment for this crime is death.

The warrior angel assigned to kill him is a woman named Olivia. Her kind heart and compassionate spirit will not allow her to take Aeron's life. Ultimately, she is stripped of her wings and falls from Heaven for refusing to kill him. Now in a mortal body, she goes to Aeron for help. Although Aeron does not want this entanglement, he can't stay away from her.

Besides fighting off the Hunters and continuing to look for the remaining artifacts, Aeron must also face a fight within his home. For although Aeron only saw Legion as a daughter, she saw him as her future husband - and she has no intention of giving him up to Olivia without a fight. In the end, so many life-or-death deals are made between the characters in this story, that there is no way for them all to live.

Review: This has been my favorite in the Lords of the Underworld series so far. It was the first story that felt completely unlike the previous books in the series (which was a relief.) The other books were starting to feel rather repetitive. This book presented an unusual storyline compared to the others, and also added a few new and interesting characters.

Another positive part of this story is that there was definite progress in the goals of warriors. Not only do they finally discover the whereabouts of another artifact, but they also learn a lot of information from Olivia which they could have only discovered from this particular Angel. I was really happy to see the primary storyline take some big steps forward.

Although I continue to find the love stories in this series to be ridiculously corny and overdone, I never rolled by eyes while I was reading this book (like I did with the earlier books in the series.) I'll give credit to the stronger plotlines and more interesting characters for the fact that I could stomach the soap-opera feel of the romance. This is the reason I'm giving this book a 4-cup rating. Also, I feel compelled to mention that I'm a big fan of this book cover. All of the covers in this series are pretty sexy, but this is one of my favorites.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Darkest Passion.