Riki's Reviews > Theft of Swords

Mar 22, 2012

bookshelves: best-of-the-best
Read in March, 2012

***THE ONE SENTENCE REVIEW***
Classical FUNtasy for the modern audience at its best.

***WHAT IT'S ABOUT***
This book actually contains two stories in one. The first story is titled "The Crown Conspiracy", and it's about a couple of thieves being framed for the murder of a king. The second story is called "Avempartha", taking place 2 years after the first story, and it's about a tiny village whose residents are being picked off by a beast in the night.

***WHAT I THINK OF IT***
Look, anyone can dwindle the essence of any story into a sentence or two, and nothing will seem original, so I hope that you keep in mind that there's a reason for all the rave reviews, and that you give it a try. It has more depth, and more importantly, it's much more fun than any book you've read in a while, I can pretty much guarantee it. The prose never gets in the way, which is to say that it neither sucks nor is it flowery (which is also to say that it's fitting). If I HAD to make a comparison to other stories, I would say that this book has the fun, adventure, and lovable characters like that of "The Princess Bride" (or "Stardust" the movie for you younger folks). For some reason I also feel like fans of the "Firefly" TV series who enjoy fantasy would enjoy this.

***WHY YOU SHOULD GET IT RIGHT NOW!***
If you're still uncertain, then I'll simply add this: if you love adventure stories, if you love fantasy, if you love being transported into another world amidst a group of lovable scoundrels, tagging along on a quest filled with danger and treachery and derring-do, if you love rogues, and renowned knights, and princes, and princess-in-distress, if you love magic spells and magic weapons, and beasts and elves and dwarves, or if you simply want to experience again what it was like to go on an adventure like you did back when you first read a fantasy story as a kid, then get this book.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Theft of Swords.

message 1: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael Riki,
Thanks for taking the time to not only read the book but also to write a review - well done. I'm glad you liked it.

Fayley Hey Rikki - You are right - I loved Firefly and I loved this series.