Giselle (Book Nerd Canada)'s Reviews > The Program

The Program by Suzanne Young

Mar 01, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: 2013, from-publishers, requested-for-review, 3-star, age-young-adult, genre-science-fiction, tough-issues
Read from July 21 to 22, 2013 — I own a copy

Sloan lives in a world where suicide is an epidemic. Being depressed, lonely and sad will get you flagged by The Program. All the people who are taken in by The Program come back with their memories erased, their lives changed and their past becomes obsolete. Sloane wants nothing more than to just forget about her brother who died right in front of her. With the help of her boyfriend and best friend, they try to keep living their lives in the most normal way possible. Until Sloane finds herself all alone, she gets admitted to The Program herself and vows to find a way out.

The story that develops in The Program is unique. Imagine depression being contagious and all the people around you deep in a spiral of suicidal thoughts. That’s what Sloan goes through and my God did my heart break just a little for her. Here she is all alone and fighting to keep her memories intact, you can feel her pain leap out of the pages. Her struggles, heartaches and confusion were all so real. The other character that you may have to watch out for is Realm. Not in a good way either because as soon as he appeared on the page, you know you can’t trust him. I nicknamed him “Creepy.”

I loved the characters and their relationships and their problems. What I didn’t love was the lack of reasoning behind The Program. Why control people’s lives and erase their thoughts completely if they could learn from it. Mind control and hypnosis is such a creeptastic way to solve suicidal tendencies that I couldn’t believe what I was reading. *shivers*

Quotes

“You’re the only person I can ever trust. You’re the only one who’ll ever know the real me.” (211)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Program.

07/21/2013 marked as: currently-reading
07/22/2013 page 129
31.0% "Ahah! I knew it!"
07/22/2013 marked as: read

message 1: by Derya (new)

Derya Not so good?

Giselle (Book Nerd Canada) Vampirella wrote: "Not so good?"

It had its ups and downs. Too much contemporary plot for me I think and not enough sci-fi and dystopia!