Stacia (the 2010 club)'s Reviews > Warm Bodies

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

Oct 16, 12

bookshelves: new-adult-college, dystopia-or-apocalyptic, paranormal-romance, hybrid-multiple-genre, zombies
Recommended to Stacia (the 2010 club) by: Wendy F
Read from March 01 to 06, 2012

With the new season of The Walking Dead back on tonight, I thought I'd go back and take a look at some killer (hah) zombie fiction. The closest book to the show Walking Dead that I've read is The First Days, so if you're needing more of that gory, survivalist-type of zombie book, I'd check that one out.

This book, however, is fresh in my mind due to the author himself making some recent comments that he's not altogether thrilled about some book stores shelving his book as Young Adult instead of Adult fiction.

As a reader who reads both YA and adult, I was sort of put off by this. After all, don't bite the hand that feeds you, right? A big portion of readers who have gravitated toward this book are YA readers. I even found out about the book through YA friendly readers.

Does the book read like adult or YA? Well, I have it shelved as New Adult/College because the female is on the younger side (19), but the male lead is hinted at being older. I honestly think the book would work for readers of both YA and adult fiction. It's an easy read but there's nothing young feeling about the book, other than getting to dodge a bullet on some of the extraneous world building that can happen in adult books, which is a bonus in my opinion. What makes this book stand out is some of the dry humor and the amusing take on a zombie love story. This may not be a hardcore zombie book, but sometimes different is perfectly okay!

Original Non-review March 2012

Every so often, I decide to bypass writing a review, in favor of letting the book speak for itself. These quotes could probably sell you far better than my own words would.

I notice a female on the opposite conveyor. She doesn't lurch or groan like most of us; her head just lolls from side to side. I like that about her.

.....

Eating is not a pleasant business. I chew off a man's arm, and I hate it.

'Good...shit,' M wheezes.

.....

He is gaping at a late-night soft-core movie. I don't know why he does this. Erotica is meaningless for us now. The blood doesn't pump, the passion doesn't surge. I've walked in on M with his 'girlfriends' before, and they're just standing there naked, staring at each other, sometimes rubbing their bodies together but looking tired and lost.

.....

"Why is it beautiful that humanity keeps coming back? Herpes does that too."

.....

I suck in air and attempt to sing. "You're...sensational..." I croak, struggling for a trace of Frank's melody.
There's a pause and then something shifts in Julie's demeanor. I realise she's laughing.
"Oh wow," she giggles. "That was beautiful, R, really. You and Zombie Sinatra should record Duets, Volume 2."
I cough. "Didn't get...warm-up."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Warm Bodies.

Quotes Stacia (the 2010 club) Liked

Isaac Marion
“Eating is not a pleasant business. I chew off a man's arm, and I hate it.
Of course if I don't eat all of him, if I spare his brain, he'll rise up and follow me back to the airport, and that might make me feel better. I'll introduce him to everyone, and maybe we'll stand around and groan for a while.”
Isaac Marion, Warm Bodies

Isaac Marion
“We sit against the tiles of the bathroom wall with our legs sprawled out in front of us, passing the brain back and forth, taking small, leisurely bites and enjoying brief flashes of human experience.

'Good...shit,' M wheezes.”
Isaac Marion, Warm Bodies

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Wendy F Yay!!!! I hope you like it as much as I did. It'll be a zombie story like you've never read before, haha.

Wendy Darling I'm going to pretend you were talking to me, too. :D Yay! Hope you enjoy.

Stacia (the 2010 club) I can do a yay for two Wendys. Yay x 2!!!

I'm about 25% in right now and it's got these dark moments that strike me as hilarious for some reason.

Leea Loved this book... I kept telling all my friends about it and they just thought I was nuts. A zombie that falls in love? Hope you like it.

Stacia (the 2010 club) I think I was hooked from the first paragraph. The scene where he saw the girl zombie and he liked her because she wasn't groaning and her head was lolling around all cute...made me kind of do this gigglesnort thing.

Connie Yeah I was thoroughly entertained with that also. I love that quote you put up.

Wendy F I think it has this awesome mix of whimsical/dark twisted/romantic. I need to get his book of shorts so I can read the companion to this about M.

I love your quote too! And I loved how he capture the trolling monotony of it, along with the violentness. The riding the escalators was a nice touch.

Stacia (the 2010 club) I love that the book has been such a fun read so far, considering I almost expected something a bit more serious like Feed. The only thing that throws me off a bit is when he seems to go from having limited thought process to comparing something to Shakespeare. No name recollection, but you recalled Shakespeare? It's odd but not even a complaint because I'm having a great time reading this.

Misha Can this comment thread stand another "Yay!" or will it explode in a glitterbomb of squee?

I'll risk it.

Yay! I'm glad someone else is reading this! I loved this book so much that I only read it in small chunks so I could stretch the experience out as much as possible.

As far as not remembering names vs. remembering Shakespeare, I think it's symbolic -- R. still has a sense of the world, but has lost his sense of self. It's a sense of self that he craves when he digests someone else's memories, and what he struggles to regain. There were a lot of things in the book that wouldn't really stand up to the test of logic, but what Marion does is so beautiful I hardly noticed.

Stacia (the 2010 club) There's always room in the world for more yays.

Good point about the sense of self.

Wendy F Very well said Misha.

I also think that it's what separates R, and even M to an extent, from the rest of the Zombies. That last spark of... life, I guess. From the beginning R feels as though he's different.

I think it's a metaphor.

message 12: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Mar 06, 2012 02:01PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) The ending! I'm so torn if I like it or not. (view spoiler)

Loved the book though.

Wendy F Hahaha, yeah... I mean, I loved it, but I think that's because I read the whole thing as a metaphor for life.

But I totally agree, that in terms of the actual story, it was pretty out there. Beautiful, but out there.

Misha What Wendy F said.

Wendy Darling Yay! Times like a zillion. :) I'm glad you liked it.

Stacia (the 2010 club) It was a fun book.

We should pull an Oprah..."YOU get a Yay, and YOU get a yay, and YOU get a yay!"

I don't even like Oprah, hah.

message 17: by Leea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leea Yay! Lol

Stacia (the 2010 club) That's it. We might have to break out Misha's glitterbomb of squee.

message 19: by Leea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leea I couldn't help myself... Ha!!

Sara I was just telling a co-worker about this book and when she looked it up it showed it as a movie for next year.

message 21: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Jun 26, 2012 01:49PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) Yes it will be. I'm excited for the movie. I hope they do the book justice and get the dark humor right. Sometimes this type of humor doesn't always come across in movies.

Here's a pic of Hoult and Palmer as the leads. I really like both of them for the roles, although not everyone else does.

Sara I planned on this being one of my books to read on my time off next week. He is pretty hot in that Emo sort of way for a zombie!

Stacia (the 2010 club) You'll have to let me know what you think of it. Hoult has killer blue eyes.

message 24: by Karla (new) - added it

Karla Great review Stacia! I might have to check this out when I'm done with Rhiannon Frater's zombie series!

Did you see WD last night? What an ending...so deliciously bloody and gorey!!

message 25: by Nikkie (new) - added it

Nikkie Maybe I should try to pick this one up again. I just couldn't get into it.

Stacia (the 2010 club) It probably depends on what type of book you're looking for. This one has less action than other zombie books, it's more of an unusual twist on a love story. Nothing wrong with not being able to get into it. :)

Thanks Karla! Yes, WD is going to be fun this season, I think.

♥Rachel♥ Stacia (Ace of Skates) wrote: "Yes it will be. I'm excited for the movie. I hope they do the book justice and get the dark humor right. Sometimes this type of humor doesn't always come across in movies.

Here's a pic of Hoult an..."

I read and liked this one a lot. Love the casting! Hout was amazing in Skins! The girl was in I Am Number Four and I liked her better than the lead in that one. Great choices IMO.

Stacia (the 2010 club) I liked her better than the lead too. It will be nice to see what she can do in this movie.

Wendy F It's funny because I didn't have a problem with what he was trying to say. I think he said it allll wrong and it came out prickish, like saying it was obviously adult because of all the big words! (What a DICK!) but the heart of what he was trying to say didn't bother me.

If it's shelved as YA than he's got adult readers who won't touch it. It's true, I know so many adults who won't read a book shelved as YA no matter how much I push it. The YA classification is sorta silly, because anyone reading in that section could probably read any adult book too. All it does is cause literary segragation.

When I was a kid YA books were Nancy Drew and Sweet Valley High. Perks of Being a Wallflower and Enders Game were shelved as Adult. The idea of 'middle grade' 'YA' 'New Adult', it just complicates things. Which I think was what he was trying to say. And that his intended audience was Adult, so he wished it was just shelved as adult. That way it would reach both adults AND YA readers, because YA readers likely read both where nto all adult readers will read YA.

On another note, I totally agree with you. I would put this in the 'New Adult' column too. BUT, if that didn't exist I'd shelve it as adult over YA. At home it's on my adult bookshelf.

Anyway, you know me, not arguing just talking for the sake of conversation. This has been on my mind since he wrote and deleted the blog post. I've stayed quiet on others reviews because I don't want to come accross as arguing, but since we're friends I felt like I could chat with you about it and it not appear as though I was fighting, hahahahaha. Hope that's cool. :)

Stacia (the 2010 club) You make good points. I know you're not arguing. :) For me, it was definitely all about his delivery, not the message itself.

I agree enough with what you're saying that I won't drop my rating on the book. This is a small blip compared to some of the other author drama that's been stirred up lately. Although, I know a lot of strict YA readers who don't read adult, so it goes both ways. In fact, I'd almost be inclined to say that the book would have sold better as YA than adult. This is one instance where it shouldn't matter if the book is shelved as YA or adult because readers of both might be able to find things to like about the book. Yes, the book is adult, but the flow is not all that different from YA (I say HAH to the concept of big words). This is where I could preach about not boxing in fiction, but it wouldn't help.

Wendy F The delivery was rude. When I read some of his lines I was shocked. It was very insulting, like YA books are dumbed down. I think he proved that he's one of those 'adult' readers who looks down on the YA classification, which really sucks.

I think it's the boxing in of fiction that I agree with. Fiction is fiction, lol. That's what I say when people tease me about reading YA. If I'm not trying to put boxcar children in your hands, stop complaining, hahaha.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Boxcar children...too funny. I've had conversations with a fair share of adult readers who think that YA lit is all about childish angst. I've read YA books which are more mature than some of the adult books I've read, so it's really all about the author and story itself.

But what do you do...books get pigeonholed. That's just the way it is. The author might not want to be associated with YA, but some of his biggest fanbase just so happens to be YA readers, which means he might want to tread carefully from here on out.

Wendy F I agree completely. He should really start choosing his words more carefully.

message 34: by Dd (new)

Dd Great review,Stacia!!This seems interesting!!:))

Anna  (Bananas!) This was such a funny and good book.

Stacia (the 2010 club) It really was...nothing like what I was expecting, but I think it will make for a good movie.

Greta The movie trailer has old me on giving this book a try

Stacia (the 2010 club) It's fun to go into a movie having read the book first.

Janna Mashburn Love your review! Hope to start this book this week :)

Stacia (the 2010 club) Thanks. Can't wait to see what you think of it!

Sasha  Mizaree (Reviews) Holy fuck the quotes are hilarious. I usually don't read satire/comedy, but I might just make an exception. I just hope Zombies don't become the new hotties in fiction o.0

Amber I didn't even realize it was adult fiction, from what I read so far I thought it was YA too...

message 43: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Jun 17, 2013 12:28PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) Amber, where have you been!?!

Sasha, sorry I missed your comment. It did have some great quotes.

Amber Hahaha 'around', I guess. I got a job in the tourist industry, some summer courses going on, and about fifteen wrenches thrown into my love life over the past few months. But I'm working on this, Clarissa, and Game of Thrones. Slowly and surely.

Stacia (the 2010 club) I'm sort of jealous of people who are busy. Until I get my car fixed, I'm pretty much stuck at home during the week until I can share the other car on the weekends. Books are starting to become overkill at the moment. :p