Kimberly's Reviews > The Raft

Mar 30, 12

bookshelves: netgalley, 2012-bookshelf
Read on March 03, 2012

★ ★ ★ ★ 1/2

So there I was on March 3rd, sitting on my couch all stuffed up with a box of kleenex at my side thinking I should really get started on my RCC Challenge, but what book was I going to read? This one of course!

I've been wanting to give this author a try for ages so when I saw that the good people over at NetGalley had this one by her listed I had to request it! Luckily I got approved and spent an hour and a half occupying my time with Robie, on a life raft floating in the middle of the ocean after her plain went down on her way back home to Midway.

I love, love, love survivalist fiction. It was one of my favourite genres when I was but a wee little bookworm, and though I don't often read books in the genre it still has a special place in my heart. I really enjoyed reading the hair raising tale of a 15 year old girl who's trying to survive on a life raft.

I found the story to be well written with a big twist about 3/4 of the way through (though I kind of saw it ahead of time). It was fast paced, and really makes you wonder what it would be like if you were left adrift in the middle of the ocean with no food, water or protection from the elements with a co-pilot named Max, whose story will become clear later on in the book.

Somehow, Robie finds it inside herself that she CANNOT under any circumstances give up despite being starved, lonely and emotionally fatigued. I love the way that the author wrote the book. She managed to make Robie seem very real and for me it felt as if I was really there inside the raft with her while she was trying to stay alive.

S.A. Bodeen wrote a dramatic tale of survival and in my opinion she made a successful book out of it. Robie came accross as very real, her character wasn't forced and I found no real flaws with her. The only problem I had with this book was that it seemed as though the beginning was a little rushed and not as well thought out. I wish we had gotten to know more about Robie than we did. But like I said it was a successful book and I highly recommend reading it to fans of YA and pretty much everyone else.

*I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for my free and honest review.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Raft.

03/03/2012 page 60