Karah's Reviews > Testimony

Testimony by Anita Shreve

Mar 04, 2012

bookshelves: novels
Read from March 01 to 04, 2012

The story begins on and around the campus of a small private Vermont private school as the headmaster has just been given a copy of a sex-tape that was clearly made at the school. Shreve fills the reader in on the scandal through short chapters written by various characters (as described to a researcher after the event).

Although I appreciate the way that Shreve tells the story through different lenses, it sometimes felt a bit disjointed as it jumped forward and backward in time. It also took me awhile to get used to the lack of direct dialogue and overall writing style in the story.

The readers slowly begin to learn what happened on the night of the scandal, and eventually about events leading up to the scandal. It is no accident that we come to especially care deeply for one of the characters involved, and for those close to him. Because the book opens with the "end", the entire book has a sense of sadness, regret, depression to it. At times, it felt a bit lighter, but the mood overall was pretty somber. While I correctly predicted the ending of the book, I was a little disappointed that my prediction really came true. I finished the book and thought, "that sucks". ---Even though I really enjoyed the book! I just wish it would have ended a bit brighter.

On a side note, this book really made me think about my relationship with my son-- and how important those familial relationships are. I kept thinking, "What if he found himself in a situation like this?" someday? He would never want to come to me and his father, but how can we encourage him that he needs to? No matter what? That while we might be disappointed or down right furious with his decisions, we will still love him and do everything we can to help him? I'm not sure it's possible to get this point across to teenagers, but when the day comes, I hope that we are able to!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Testimony.