Sam Quixote's Reviews > Prison Pit, Vol. 3

Prison Pit, Vol. 3 by Johnny Ryan

Mar 01, 12

Read in March, 2012

The arch enemy of the main character shows up in the Prison Pit spoiling for a fight. He comes across some bad hombres and the usual (I'm assuming you've read the previous two books and know what to expect) gore-fest ensues. I thought the fight-scenes were a little crazier than before with characters being absorbed by other characters and then transforming into other characters - it all got a bit hard to follow.

Then the main character's story resumes where his new underground location leads him to a strange object wherein monks of some sort have his arm and more fighting ensues.

The book was as imaginative as the other two books, and the series as a whole comes across as basically a more nasty version of Jim Woodring's Unifactor world. That said it wasn't as funny as the other two books though I like the lack of any real plot or character development by Johnny Ryan (unless the quest to get his arm back is a plot in utero?).

"Book Three" is still good fun and daffy as all hell, but the elongated fight scenes, while mind bending, aren't enough to sustain the series so hopefully Ryan will figure out a way in the next book to make this series seem fresh as the first book was.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prison Pit, Vol. 3.