Becky's Reviews > I Know This Much Is True

I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb

Jul 10, 2015

bookshelves: favorites, owned, tear-jerkers, highly-recommended, pre-gr

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Know This Much Is True.

message 1: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura OK so here's the question. I hated hated She's Come Undone (pre-GR days, couldn't finish) - but this one looks really good. Should I attempt or will I most likely hate this too. Since you've read both?

Becky Laura wrote: "OK so here's the question. I hated hated She's Come Undone (pre-GR days, couldn't finish) - but this one looks really good. Should I attempt or will I most likely hate this too. Since you've rea..."

Umm... Well... That depends on what you hated about SCU. I didn't much care for that one either. But, I love this book. I won't lie though... It's difficult and depressing at times and hurts my heart to read... but I love that (when it's done well) and I know that isn't your ideal.

If you read it though, I'd be happy to discuss with you, even though I can't re-read anything in 2012. *grumble* Stupid self-imposed ban!

message 3: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Bah bookbans! I thought it was sexually sick and the writer seemed to be getting his jollies from it.

Remembering from 2001, and my memory is utter crap. And just way depressing. Almost to the point it seemed manipulative and unreal.

But looking at the first few pp of this, it looks interesting and I'm liking the style. The GR description says the 2 books are v different but based on reviews I've read, I have to wonder.

And sure, I'd love to discuss it, if I wind up reading it!

Becky No... I agree with you about SCU. It was depressing, manipulative and unrealistic, and the sexual... stuff... was pretty unhealthy. And then the ending was just complete WTF. No... I didn't like it.

I won't say that there's not depressing stuff in IKTMIT, or that there's no issues, with sexual stuff too.. but that's not really the main focus of the book like it was with SCU.

message 5: by Laura (last edited Dec 28, 2011 04:16PM) (new) - added it

Laura OK, so it's still depressing but not to the point that it's unreal? I couldn't even finish SCU it was just too weird and off and felt wrong and twisted. Like, too much.

Becky I don't know... I think that everyone will have a different threshold for what is "too much", you know? I didn't think it was, but I can see how someone else might. It IS depressing. Quite a lot. A lot of horrible stuff happens, and there's a whole section of the book that is very... surreal feeling. But it fits and works, in my opinion, and I loved it.

There's a lot of similarity to SCU in the fact that it's an "issues" book, but the way it is handled felt completely different. If that makes sense. I don't really know how to explain it without spoiling anything or turning you off of the book... if I haven't already. =\

message 7: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Nope, all's well so far. I mean depressing is OK but unreal and twisted and manipulative is not OK. Sounds like this is more realistic than not.

Becky I think so... But I think a lot of the issues that I had SCU were just because I didn't like being in Dolores's head. I didn't like her, didn't care about her, couldn't identify with her at all, even when I should have, because her way of thinking and viewing things was so skewed.

I love Dominic Birdsey, even when I hate him and think he's an asshole, and being in HIS head is... hard, but in a realistic way. He just seems real to me. Maybe it's just that he's male and I'm not, so that one level of separation makes the difference? I don't know.

There are parts of IKTMIT that are a lot to take, but it's one of those books that speaks to me. I can see scenes from it crystal clearly, even right now, and I live in that book when I read it. I think it's a fantastic book. I hope you love it as much as I do, but I'd settle for not hating it as much as SCU. ;)

message 9: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura lol sounds good! I think this may be a winner!

Becky I hope so... ;) When are you planning on trying it?

message 11: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura oh man....wish i knew. no clue. I'll definitely remember this convo tho, even tho my memory blows. And I'll let you know. I think I have over 70 books on my 2012 TBR and many of them are bricks, so it's totally insane and I need to pare it down. But this one is looking good!

Becky LOL 2013 then! ;)

message 13: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura exactly! it's a date lol!