Kcatty's Reviews > The Crimson Crown

The Crimson Crown by Cinda Williams Chima

Mar 26, 14

bookshelves: chima-clare, favorites, i-has-it, r-done, college
Recommended to Kcatty by: The internet...?
Recommended for: EVERYBODY
Read on October 23, 2012, read count: a gazillion, and soon it'll be infinity

EDIT 8/23/2013
In all seriousness, guys.
There is something seriously scary when you can't breathe when you see stuff like this.
Or this.

Full Review 8/4/2013
I reread - fully reread – my initial reaction review.
Originally I thought that the book was gonna come out on Friday the 26th, and so I begun to mentally prepare myself for it on Sunday; it was only during a routine check on Monday that I discovered that it was coming out on Tuesday. Tomorrow . So that threw all of my mental preparation out the window and put me into full OBSESS mode.
Fast forward to the next day, the release date. I biked to my bus stop, took the bus to school and proceeded to not pay attention in any class. I believe it was a 1 day, so that meant AP Calculus BC, AP English 12 and AP Physics C. I had no plans to pay attention and I spent the whole school day counting down to the time I could get out, get the book and READ.
Well, there was one time I wasn’t thinking about The Crimson Crown. That was during third, or homeroom, period, when I had study seminar in the library. I wandered around the book stacks until I came to the area of the Fiction section with the R-named authors.
That’s right, folks, I picked up The Wise Man's Fear, the second Kingkiller book by Patrick Rothfuss. (He’s quite a hilarious reviewer on this website, also, so check him out.) And as I say below, in The Wise Man’s Fear is a group of chapters (published separately before the first book even came out, but I can’t find a link) where the protagonist rescues two girls from a group of roving criminals and returns them home. Now, these chapters come after a period of intense reflection and learning for the protagonist, so it’s no surprise that he has a lot of conflicting emotions, which turn this little side adventure into the second-most heartbreaking thing I have ever read.
The first being this book.
When I say heartbreaking, I mean an extremely intense roller-coaster of emotions that strings you out by the end and, like I said on October 23rd, makes you want to curl up in a ball and sob your heart out. Truly heartbreaking writing forces you live the story, whether you want to suffer the pain or not.
My initial reaction was a snowball effect, with the sudden release, Levinshir and all 598 pages of the actual damn book all colliding to stun me.
So do you want my completely objective review?

Chima is a marvelous writer. I own almost every book of hers and once I got my wits back together (took a while, too) I went and reread her first book. She was a B-grade writer back then and she's an A++ writer now. It's like watching a miracle unfold, watching an author's writing develop.

The story of this series gets deeper and more complex as it goes, and a whole lot darker, but that just makes it so much more addicting. Chima brings all her characters alive, from spoiled Missy Hakkam to defensive Micah Bayar, and gives each backstory its appropriate time. From two very biased character's POVs we get a whole range of different personalities, plots that crash together and disappear just as quickly, and twists and turns that leave us on our toes. It's a whiplash ride.

It's a marvelous (maybe) end the the series.

EDIT 12/17/12: She keeps killing me!
("I may yet return to the Seven Realms")
(Ahem, Enchanted Inkpot Interview)

Original Reaction/Review
I am in emotional turmoil right now. I made the foolish decision of rereading The Road to Levinshir hours before I got this book.

Okay. The Road to Levinshir is a part of The Wise Man's Fear, Pat Rothfuss's second of the Kingkiller Chronicles. The Road to Levinshir is the most beautiful, profound, killing four-or-five chapters I have ever encountered. Technically it's a happy(ish) ending, but there are so many conflicting things in it - killing, drugging, raping, healing, and gentleness that makes you melt - that after you read it you want to curl up in a ball and cry.

This is what this book made me want to do; I am holding back tears as I write this. Maybe just a week ago I said I didn't have the emotional energy for books now, but I was wrong. This book has taken whatever I did have, put it through the grinder and said, "take that to school."

This whole book is a Road to Levinshir. It basically runs on adrenaline and no sleep (sometimes due to...ahem), and has the most beautiful love declaration ever. It has wars and killing and politics and love and rumors and trust and betrayal and I love this book.

And so, to read both of them, Levinshir and the Crown, within hours, has stunned my emotional senses.

That is all I can say right now. My mind is reeling.

Also, cue Schindler's List for pages 422-424.
Pre-reading thoughts mislabeled spoilers:
(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Crimson Crown.

Quotes Kcatty Liked

Cinda Williams Chima
“So here's the truth - I love you. I love everything about you – the way you stick up for people even when it costs you. The way you keep trying to do the right thing even when you're not exactly sure what the right thing is. I love how you put words together. You're as skilled with words as any knife fighter with a blade. You can put an enemy down on his back, or you can raise people up so they find what's best in themselves. You've changed my life. You've given me the words I need to become whatever I want.
I love how you talk to lytlings. You don't talk down to them. You respect them, and anybody can tell you're actually interested in what they have to say.
I love the way you ride a horse – how you stick there like an upland thistle, whooping like a Demonai. I love the way you throw back your head and stomp your feet when you dance. I love how you go after what you want – whether it's kisses or a queendom.
I love your skin, like copper dusted over with gold. And your eyes – they're the color of a forest lake shaded by evergreens. One of the secret places that only the Demonai know about.
I love the scent of you – when you've been out in the fresh air, and that perfume you put behind your ears sometimes.
Believe it or not, I even love your road smell – of sweat and horses and leather and wool.
I want to breathe you in for the rest of my life.”

Cinda Williams Chima
“Crow paced back and forth, his form flickering like flame. “It’s been a thousand years, Alister. I never intended for anyone to find it, so it’s very well protected. One little misstep, and you and my line will be history.”
“Since when are you so concerned about your line?” Han said.
Crow stared at him for a long moment. “Since I found out I had one,”

Cinda Williams Chima
“The next chamber is full of songbirds, if I remember right. Their music is like turtleweed. It will put you to sleep if you listen to it. They sleep most of the time, so the best thing is to pass through without waking them up. If they do awaken, then you must sing loud enough to drown out their music."
"Great," Han said. "Whose idea was that?"
"It seemed like a good idea at the time," Crow said. "I was an excellent singer.”
tags: crow, han

Cinda Williams Chima
“He swept Raisa up into his arms and kissed her like it was his first, last, and only”

Cinda Williams Chima
“They were like two pieces of a failed star, drawn together by a shared history and a memory of illicit kisses.”

Cinda Williams Chima
“But maybe it's better to go after something, and not get it, than to not even try.”

Cinda Williams Chima
“That's what happens when you love someone... you notice and notice and notice.”

Cinda Williams Chima
“Haven't you heard about me?" he said, with a tight smile. "I'm really a very dangerous person." And he did look dangerous until he said, "Look, could you watch Dog for me while I'm gone? I can't take him where I'm going.”

Cinda Williams Chima
“Politics is not about justice. It's about the settling of personal vendettas under a thin veneer of civilization. All politics is personal.”