Robert Intriago's Reviews > Creole Belle

Creole Belle by James Lee Burke

Sep 07, 12

bookshelves: 2012, crime-noir, southern-writers
Read from August 21 to September 07, 2012

I had to push to give it a 4 star. I only did so because I liked the amount of time that the author gave Clete Purcell in this story. He is to Robicheaux what Bubba was to Kenzie in the LeHane books. The story is the typical Burke story with all the usual characters. There are the really evil guys, the good hear-ted bad girls, the thoroughly rotten girls and all the other assorted misfits. There are Nazis, greedy business man, pimps, racists, and bad and good cops. You get the idea. There is not much different than the previous 18 Robicheaux novels.

There is beautiful writing that only Mr. Burke can deliver. There are strong characters and absolutely great description of the landscape and weather in Louisiana. On the other hand the author tends to wonder from the main story a little too often from my point of view. He does so to express his personal point of views in areas such as politics, the role of rich people, environment and several other areas. If you are a fan of Mr. Burke you will not be disappointed.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Creole Belle.