Katie(babs)'s Reviews > Flawed

Flawed by Kate Avelynn

Nov 23, 12

bookshelves: gag-worthy-book
Read from November 23 to 24, 2012

It seems more young adult is tackling a lot more taboo subjects such as incest. We saw this with Tabitha Suzuma’s Forbidden, which is an incestuous romance between a brother and sister, both in high school. That book didn’t work for me for various reasons. When I heard about Flawed, and the possible incestuous implications that may occur about another brother and sister (but this time the sister isn’t interested at all), I would give it a shot. Flawed was a big disappointment, so much so that it’s the first book I ever sent back to Kindle for a refund.

Flawed was horrid, and it's not because of the possible incest going on. Even the undertones of incest, mainly from James, the overprotective brother to Sarah was more ho-hum and tiresome after a while. The writing was disjointed and the over the top angst and abuse from the alcoholic dad (who lusts after the innocent, virginal Sarah) and druggie mom, who you blink and she’s gone, is so unrealistic. The flip flopping, wish-washy thoughts and feelings of the characters, mainly of James, and especially of Sarah- "I love James, oh no he's icky because he kissed me, but he protects me from incestuous drunk dad," was ridiculous and very grating. Sam, Sarah's knight and savior has some life in him, but he's a wasted character, more wallpaper than anything.

If things had been more subtle with James’ and Sarah's home life and not the non-stop soap opera schlock within these pages, then this would have been so much better poignant and tragic tale the author was probably shooting for.

This needed heavy content editing overall. There's really isn't much of a plot to speak of when it comes down to it. There's a mystery thrown in that makes no sense, and I can't tell you the number of times I rolled my eyes as I read who was responsible for the XYZ's clumsily laid out. The ending that's so shocking really isn't. It's a planned and blatant attempt to shock the reader into some sort of emotional response which fails.

This is one DOA book. It's certainly not worth the $5.99. I've read better, well written and thought provoking self published young adult novels at half the price, and that's saying a lot.

Big pass on this one.
24 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flawed.

11/23/2012 page 1
0.0% "I'm going into this with an open mind. Hopefully it's nothing like the YA incest romance, Forbidden."
11/23/2012 page 250
74.0% "The over the top angst and abuse in this makes it more of an annoyance than an emotional, thought provoking book."

message 1: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Will Paypal let you buy it?

Katie(babs) Kathryn wrote: "Will Paypal let you buy it?"

LMAO! Good one!

message 3: by Kmont (new)

Kmont Good grief, the girl in question needs to be saved from two men in the book? And if she wants to continue to have protection from a crazy father, her loony brother wants SEX? FFS. Yeah, save 'er, Sam. Wonder what *he* wants.

Katie(babs) Kmont wrote: "Good grief, the girl in question needs to be saved from two men in the book? And if she wants to continue to have protection from a crazy father, her loony brother wants SEX? FFS. Yeah, save 'er, S..."

Sam is everything good and pure so probably just a smooch from the abused sister's sweet virgin lips.

message 5: by Kmont (new)

Kmont *snort* Oh yeah, sure.

Katie(babs) Kmont wrote: "*snort* Oh yeah, sure."

hey, if the sisters is beaten by drunk father and lusted after by psycho brother, her savior boy needs to be pure. Evens everything out.

message 7: by Kmont (new)

Kmont Being pure and resisting leads to sparkly cannibal vampire babies!

message 8: by Brie (new)

Brie C. Neither of them realize James is far more unstable than her father ever was

Really? So the fact that he was obsessed with his sister, was holding her hostage (I'll protect you as long as you stay with me forever) and wanted to kiss her and more (and I bet that by “more” he doesn’t mean play Monopoly), none of these things were clue enough to the fact that the brother was a psycho? Really?!

Katie(babs) Brie wrote: "Neither of them realize James is far more unstable than her father ever was

Hey, brother is keeping his sister safe from their horrible daddy. He needs some sort of reward from his sister. So why not a kiss and... more? O.o

message 10: by Rahel (new)

Rahel Abraham it really is becoming a trend huh? man it just creeps me out to much to try and read even if the writings good

message 11: by Mari (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mari "The ending that's so shocking really isn't. It's a planned and blatant attempt to shock the reader into some sort of emotional response which fails." I have to admit that i cried my eyes out, but i was also angry at myself for crying, because it was such a cheap twist and i felt stupid crying because of it (gotta say i get emotional very easily). Anyway. This review describes my feelings exactly.