Becky's Reviews > Lisey's Story

Lisey's Story by Stephen King

Apr 24, 09

bookshelves: owned, 2009, dark-tower, fantasy, horror, reviewed, audiobook, favorites
Read in April, 2009

I've been reading a lot of "New" Stephen King lately, books that I've put off reading because I was afraid that they would not be as good as "Old" Stephen King. I wish I had not, because while "New" King is different, he is still The King.

I listened to it on audio, but kind of followed along in the book too, sort of. Mare Winningham did a good job reading, and after a while I got used to her voices, although I think that she added a bit too much to the story. She made certain characters sound too much alike for my taste, specifically Jim Dooley, Sparky Landon and Amanda Debusher. Amanda was different because she was given a more feminine voice, and no "hillbilly" at all, but the underlying voice was the same, and that bothered me.

Anyway, moving on to the story itself. I wasn't sure what to make of this book when I started it, but I absolutely loved it. Dark and creepy, this one actually gave me goosebumps in a few spots. Listening to the events in Scott's childhood cellar were one of those times. To be honest, that part was scarier to me than the Longboy. I also found the running theme on mental illness interesting. King always has a slightly skewed way of viewing the world, and I thought it was perfectly fitting that he should describe mental illness the way he did in this book. Not as something internal, but as something external, either worming it's way into you, or by calling you to it... and then keeping you there.

But even with all the creepiness, this was really a beautiful story of love and loyalty and trust and acceptance. And sacrifice. A friend of mine mentioned that she felt it was a love letter from King to his wife. I can understand that, but there is a lot more to this story than that. My book has the tagline, "Their love was just the first chapter", and I think that's perfectly fitting for how I viewed this book.

He also makes reference to his own creations, Derry, Castle Rock (which in itself is a homage to William Golding's "Lord of the Flies"), Dark Score Lake, Norris Ridgewick, and of course, there were several ties to the Dark Tower and The Talisman, specifically the phrase "Light out for the territories". Scott's ability to "boom" to Boo'ya Moon is reminiscent of Jack's ability to shift from the Territories to this world in "The Talisman".

All in all, I really enjoyed this story. I look forward to King's next book. I will certainly not put it off as I did this one and "Duma Key".

BOOL! The End.

42 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lisey's Story.

message 1: by April (new) - added it

April Becky, your review rocks! Now I have to add this book to the TBR.

Kandice I always look forward ot your reviews, either of books I want to read, or have laready read. This one was terrific, as usual. You have such a nice knack of expressing how I feel. How do you do that? :)

Becky April wrote: "Becky, your review rocks! Now I have to add this book to the TBR."

Thank you April! I never know what I'm going to write ahead of time, so I'm glad that you appreciate my rambling! :) You should definitely add this one to your list. I really enjoyed it.

Becky Kandice wrote: "I always look forward ot your reviews, either of books I want to read, or have laready read. This one was terrific, as usual. You have such a nice knack of expressing how I feel. How do you do that..."

Thanks Kandice! I didn't know that I was expressing your feelings about this one. I just wrote what came to mind! LOL Glad you like it though! XO

Kathy Becky you nailed this one, too! I loved this one, as well. And I really did see it as a love story! Wouldn't we all want our own personal Boo'Ya Moon to go to?!

Birgit Alsinger Thank you for a beautiful review, Becky.

Becky Birgit wrote: "Thank you for a beautiful review, Becky."

Thank you! :) I hope you're enjoying Lisey's Story as much as I did!

Trudi I can't wait to read this one again ... it is definitely one of my favourites for a myriad of reasons ... BOOL! indeed :)

Birgit Alsinger I am enjoying it very much, 75% through, I 'll give my final comments soon. I only discovered Stephen King last year, of course I knew of his existence but must admit that that I've been quite prejudiced about his writings (can you say that?) I always thought that he was beneath me, so to speak. I'm sorry, I didn't realize he was a a magician, a poet.

Kathy Well put, Birgit! He's a poet, indeed!

Becky Better late than never, Birgit! You've got a lot to catch up on, lucky girl! I'm almost jealous. I love experiencing his work for the first time. :)

Trudi, If you haven't done the audio version, I recommend it. It takes a little while to get adapted to Mare Winningham's voice (I had the same issue with her reading of The Gingerbread Girl), but after that, it's like you're there. It's great. :)

Dustin Hi, Becky! I enjoyed your review very much (Lisey's a particular favorite of mine, Btw,) and found it to be beautifully written. Awesome!

Becky Thanks Dustin :)

Dustin You are welcome!

Ashton Barnes I'm still reading this book but I must say i'm loving it so far I can understand what people say about it being dragged out or to long. I used to feel that way but the higher my reading level gets the more I like this long of books cause theres so much more detail and I love the detail. Very good book so far I love the story, I love what King is trying to convey in this novel I love this book.I have yet to find a king novel I don't enjoy

Billy Morton Wow Becky!!! I'm very impressed with your review! Just finished reading it today myself and you hit it right on the money! I look forward to reading more of your reviews! I'm reading "Under the dome" right now but can't stop thinking about Lisey's story!!!

"Shhhhhhhhh... He's very close now... I can hear him taking his meal."

Heidi Garrett "This book is like a patchwork quilt of King's appreciation for the things that got him where he is today. Tabitha King is definitely at the head of that list, but she's by far not the only recipient of a tip of King's hat.

His description of the Longboy, and of Boo'ya Moon in general reminded me strongly of H.P. Lovecraft's writing. Not just his atrocious beastly creations, but also Lovecraft's theory that sometimes what's left unseen and unexplained is far scarier than explained phenomena, regardless of how awful it may be. In this, I felt like King was paying homage to what he grew up reading."

Totally agree:D Great review!

Heidi Garrett oops, meant to add that story-wise, the concept of a "blood bool" just really got inside my brain, and I can't stop thinking about it!

Birgit Alsinger Indeed Heidi. Love Your point of view

message 20: by DIANE SCOBEE (new)

DIANE SCOBEE I enjoyed reading your "take" on this book. It is similar to my own . I read This book a few years ago and I am ready to read it again. Thanks!