Becky's Reviews > A Thousand Splendid Suns

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

May 19, 09

bookshelves: 2009, dystopias, historical-fiction, reviewed, tear-jerkers, highly-recommended
Read in May, 2009

I loved The Kite Runner, but A Thousand Splendid Suns is even better. This book is described as breathtaking, and I have to say that is a teensy bit of an understatement.

There were times, reading this, when I literally couldn't breathe, and felt like the bottom had dropped out of my stomach. But this story is beautiful, and enlightening and hopeful even through all the gritty, heart-wrenching, almost physically painful emotional rawness of it.

I am surprised at how well Hosseini writes from a woman's perspective. Even though I have not experienced most of what Mariam and Laila have, this story still spoke to me in a profound and personal way.

It's funny the things that we take for granted, and how fleeting everything really is. It's so easy to forget to be grateful for the luxuries and liberties that we have. Just reading about the way that women were treated under Islamic rule makes me very grateful to have what I do.

I can't recommend this book to a lot of people, as it is not the easiest book to read. It is well-written, powerful, and an amazing book, but it is not an emotional trek I'd want to make very often. I am glad that I read it though... Hosseini's books do give one a different perspective on life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Thousand Splendid Suns.

Quotes Becky Liked

Khaled Hosseini
“A society has no chance of success if its women are uneducated...”
Khaled Hosseini, A Thousand Splendid Suns

05/17/2009 page 1
show 3 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

April LOVE this book! What do you think of it so far??

Becky Well... I'll just say that I couldn't breathe when reading certain parts and that some of it is physically painful, but I am amazed by it.

Vicki Yay! I see you caved and got the book.

Becky I did... I'm weak. But it's worth it. :)

Alexis This was a 5 star book, for me, too, although like you said it's a painful read. (Not as bad as The Kite Runner, though.) Glad you liked it.

Liz (Consumed by Books) You're making me want to read this so badly. Dangit.