Shelley's Reviews > Betsy and Tacy Go Downtown

Betsy and Tacy Go Downtown by Maud Hart Lovelace

Jul 29, 2008

bookshelves: christmas, youth, re-read, historical, my-childhood, 1989, 2008
Read in April, 1989

And now these feel like novels, more like I remember them reading. Although, oddly, I don't specifically recall reading this one. Bits felt familiar, like with her uncle, and Margaret's doll, but the rest not. How odd.

Anyway, I loved it. I loved the girls growing up, and how so many fewer of Tib's lines had the tag, "Of course Tib would say that." 'Bout time we were allowed to know Tib without author intrusion. I also loved all the winter scenes, and Christmas, and Christmas shopping. How do I not remember Christmas shopping?? That was lovely.

Mrs. Ray is possibly my favorite secondary character - she'sa neat person and a wonderful mother. I didn't recall Winona at all, and I'm not too sure I like her very much at all. I skipped over Winona's Pony Cart, but I may jump back to read it, or at least skim it.

Meanwhile, I think I need to track down this book to own.

(8-08)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Betsy and Tacy Go Downtown.

Quotes Shelley Liked

Maud Hart Lovelace
“She thought of the library, so shining white and new; the rows and rows of unread books; the bliss of unhurried sojourns there and of going out to a restaurant, alone, to eat.”
Maud Hart Lovelace, Betsy and Tacy Go Downtown

Maud Hart Lovelace
“Betsy returned to her chair, took off her coat and hat, opened her book and forgot the world again.”
Maud Hart Lovelace, Betsy and Tacy Go Downtown