Jenny's Reviews > Whirligig

Whirligig by Paul Fleischman

Mar 06, 2012

liked it

I though this book was okay. It was better that average but it wasn't my personal favorite. It was pretty sad, but it had it's good moments. Some chapters seemed to be unrelated to the story. What did Flaco have to do with it? I was somewhat confused. I liked how chapters changed narrators, but it could be confusing.

In the book, a teenager named Brent moves to the chicago area. He struggles to fit in with the others in his new surroundings. He feels left out and made fun of. This leads him to te point of suicide. He lets go of the wheel when driving and crashes. Instead of him dying he kills an innocent girl. To help the family he is instructed to put a whirligig on the corners of the U.S. This takes him on many journey's and he helps many people.

This reminds me of an episode of "the good wife" that I saw. In the episode a man tries to create a video to stop people from suicide, but he ends up getting sued for mocking the girls suicide. It turns out that he is innocent, but both cases involve stopping suicidal acts. I read this book for third quarter.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whirligig.