Matt's Reviews > What to Eat

What to Eat by Marion Nestle

May 02, 12

bookshelves: non-fiction
Recommended for: Anyone who feels overwhelmed in the grocery store
Read from April 02 to May 01, 2012, read count: 1

This book sets out with a lot of ground to cover. Marion Nestle, an accomplished professor of nutrition, takes the reader on an aisle by aisle trip through the grocery store. She touches on every major food group and attempts to answer the question: Why is it so confusing and overwhelming to go grocery shopping? She breaks the book down in sections according to food topic, such as bread, milk, seafood, coffee, etc. There are a lot of details squeezed into each section, but for topics of less interest to you, it is very easy to skim sections. I found myself skimming a few sections I wasn't as interested in and was still able to follow the narrative. It helps that prominent facts are in bold and highlighted at a rate of about one fact every three pages. This layout also makes the book handy as a reference tool. Although there is a lot of information crammed into each section, it is impossible to cover every topic she attempts to in depth. As a result, Ms. Nestle tends to focus on a few specific focal points she finds specific to each food group. Sometimes it may be politics or animal welfare, but for the most part the meat is in the nutrient contents of the food and how agribusiness and food companies try to market to the consumer. If you feel overwhelmed in the grocery store by all your options and the claims on products- light, non-fat, whole grain, high in protein, etc. - then this book is a good place to go to figure out what's behind some of these health claims. I feel like a have a little more understanding and therefor control of my grocery shopping after reading this book. So if I could get that out of it I'm sure other readers would benefit as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What to Eat.