TheGeekyBlogger's Reviews > The Hunt

Challenges: YA
Overall Rating: 4.00
Story Rating: 4.00
Character Rating: 4.00

First Thought When Finished: Well that was an odd and engaging story!

What I Loved: Andrew Fukuda has weaved a tale that is oddly fascinating, excruciatingly heartbreaking, and truly gross at times. Seriously folks, I would not read this book while eating as it does have some "did he just write that" moments. They totally fit in this story and it is part of the charm (probably not the right word). The Hunt is truly unlike any book that I have read before and yet it had elements that were familiar enough I was hooked. At the end, I wasn't sure what to think and I am still trying to figure out my emotions towards the events.

What I Liked: The world is the exact opposite of the one we know today. Humans (or hepers) are food and almost all humans(as far as we know)are extinct. Yet, the Vampires kept some very human characteristics: they went to school, knew humor, competed in sports, and several other little things. All of this made the world familiar yet completely new!

What made me go "huh": To be honest there were quite a few moments where I wasn't sure where the story was going---the end is one of them. Though each moment was followed by truly gripping storytelling--I felt a little short changed at the end. I felt the real story was just beginning.

Final Thought: This is a book that I would recommend to YA Dystopian readers with a caveat that it isn't like other books you have read.

***I know I didn't mention characters in this review mostly because I am mixed on my feelings there. I didn't feel overly attached to any of them (including G) but I think that was by design as we didn't get to really "see" what he would be like as himself. I think not seeing how he would act around friends/family made even his thoughts reserved***

This is part of a paragraph that explains why: PG 11: Call me picky, but imminent death at the hands (or teeth) of a friend who would suckle blood out of you at the drop of a hat..... That throws a monkey wrench into friendship building.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunt.

03/19/2012 page 11
4.0% "PG 11: Call me picky, but imminent death at the hands (or teeth) of a friend who would suckle blood out of you at the drop of a hat..... That throws a monkey wrench into friendship building."

TinaB Yeah I didnt connect to the characters either...but I thought the story itself was very good and offered a different feel than whats flooding the market right now....his first book Crossing was awesome too.

TheGeekyBlogger I will have to check it out. I enjoyed this one (read it in one night) and thought his writing was spectacular :)