Florinda's Reviews > Between Here and April

Between Here and April by Deborah Copaken Kogan

Mar 01, 12

Read in October, 2007

I don't know if it's really news to anyone any more that motherhood isn't always sunshine and rainbows and butterflies - and I think we're lucky to be living in a time when that's more out in the open. It can be a struggle for many of us at times, and for some it's a challenge that may just be too much.

Elizabeth Burns' viewing of a production of Medea triggers a memory of her childhood friend April Cassidy, who was rumored to have been killed by her own mother in a murder/suicide. Once it comes back to her, Elizabeth can't shake her thoughts of April, and her journalist background spurs her to dig into the story and try to find out what really happened. But it's not the what of the story that turns out to matter as much as the why. As Elizabeth learns more about April's mother Adele and her struggles with depression, she begins seeing some unsettling similarities to her own challenges in marriage and motherhood.

I think this would be a great book for book clubs in general, but particularly for book groups mostly composed of moms, because it's both thought- and emotion-provoking, and I suspect the reactions of mothers might be particularly strong - although, since I am a mother, it's hard to say how my response to the book might have been different if I weren't. I have believed for a long time that my mother suffered from untreated, undiagnosed depression (which may have been a factor in her early-onset Alzheimer's), and it wasn't hard to be reminded of that in the character of Adele Cassidy. It also wasn't hard to identify with the sense of being overwhelmed and inadequate in so many aspects - marriage, motherhood, and trying to maintain a professional life - that Elizabeth feels all too often. It's what causes her to become dangerously immersed in Adele's story.

Between Here and April is an engrossing page-turner with depth. I just wish I'd liked Elizabeth a little more - while I did connect with her, at times I also found myself getting irritated with her. I thought the novel wrapped up a bit too neatly, so it's not entirely clear to me how much she really grew from her experience with the Cassidys' story, but I think this book will stick with me a while just the same.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between Here and April.