Connie's Reviews > By the Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead

Mar 02, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: kindle
Read from February 27 to March 01, 2012 , read count: 1

This book ticked me off more than any I've read since My Sister's Keeper. Just like Picoult's book, this novel slapped me in the face at the end and negated whatever positive experience I might have gained from it.

By the Time You Read This ... could have been a good book. It was fast-moving and compulsively readable. Then I got to the end and literally said out loud, "What the hell?" Without giving too much away, I'll say this: Cliffhangers can be effective literary devices when done well. Mentally dropping the reader off the cliff, however, just frustrates. It makes me feel like the author (or editor or publisher) is just too lazy or too uncommitted to write a resolution. Don't get me invested in characters and then not even tell me what bloody happens.

In terms of subject matter, it would be virtually impossible not to compare this novel to Jay Asher's 13 Reasons Why. Both discuss an important issue in today's youth in a creative way. Asher blows Peters out of the park by being much more realistic (and also giving the reader a satisfying if somewhat sad denouement). And while I could relate to Daelyn in some ways more than Asher's Heather, I felt 13 Reasons Why better demonstrated the complexity of emotions in a suicidal person.

Bottom line: this book is not worth your time unless you want to throw it across the room when you're done (which was unfortunately not an option for me since I read it on my Kindle).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read By the Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead.

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-9 of 9) </span> <span class="smallText">(9 new)</span>

Tara Blue The title of the book gives away the ending though... Why so much frustration?(I am actually asking, Ive wanted to ask a few other reviewers but your review seems like I will get the best response lol)
thanks

Connie Hmmm, I guess that's a good point. However, I still think the author was lazy by ending it as abruptly as she did. :)

Tara Blue Oh! So its not the ending as much as total lack of ending :)
That makes sense, thank you.

Katie It's funny because when I finished the book I said the exact same thing. "What the hell???"

Brenda You can not possibly compare those two books together. They're both about suicide but completely different. Personally I somewhat agree with you. The book was great. But the ending was not. But it was meant to be like that. To keep you wondering or make the book end the way you want it to end. You need a little creativity in your life.

Kaitlyn Cooper The ending gives interpretation. That is not a bad thing! Is she dead, did she find inner peace? You decide. Giving the book a shit rating because you hated the ending and then comparing it to another is shameful. It is worth everyone's time. This, like Speak or Thirteen Reasons Why, are must reads because they show you the truth with words unspoken of before. If you cannot enjoy a book such as this, you make me sick.

Rebecca I 100% agree with your review and opinion on the end of the book except my response, out loud was - that is seriously not the end of this book??!!! SERIOUSLY!!!!

message 8: by Nrtashi (new)

Nrtashi I know that feeling! I want to throw my books so often, and I can't because they are on electronic device!

Annie ✌ Oh I am so glad I'm not the only one. I felt so unfinished, so torn, so.... empty? With no ending... does she kill herself? Do her and Santana continue their relationship - or whatever you call it... does he end up dying and leaving her all alone? I mean come ON.