cheryl's Reviews > The Mulligans of Mt. Jefferson: A Novel

The Mulligans of Mt. Jefferson by Don Reid

F_50x66
Apr 13, 12

I won a copy of this books from the Goodreads site. It follows the lives of three boys who become friends during childhood in a small Virginia town. We see the boys as a trio of trouble-seeking kids and then follow each as he grows into his own adult. The characters remain close as friends and their relationship, and each man's examination of himself and his role in the group, intensifies when one man is shot in his home. The man who is shot has inherited his father's business and his friend's have become a cop and a priest.

This is a 3.5 star book for me. I enjoyed the portions of the book focused on the boys' childhoods and adolescent years more than the parts focusing on them as adults. The coming-of-age story was good but I wasn't really invested in the "present" timeline that involved the cop and priest responding to the shooting that harms, but does not kill, their friend. I can't put my finger on why, but I felt a bit of the book was kind of preachy. I didn't feel satisfied when I finished the book so will round down to three stars on this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mulligans of Mt. Jefferson.