Keith Johnson's Reviews > The Book of Jonas

Mar 19, 12

bookshelves: won-in-giveaways
Recommended for: Anyone
Read on February 29, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

First of all, I don't like reviews that describe the book, section by section, so that's not what this review will be. Second, I read this book in one night. This is the first book I've won in the giveaways section. What a great free benefit from Goodreads First Reads. I'm not adept at finding symbolism in works of literature. The Book of Jonas I read for the pure enjoyment of reading. There maybe some underlying theme or message that Dau was trying to get across, but if so, I didn't see it. The title obviously implies Christianity, but that doesn't come across in the book. That being said, I found this book very compelling. The story is original and well-thought out. The characters are developed, almost overly so. If I were to give the book any criticism, I would say less character development and more action. And the whole point of Rose Henderson's character seems forced almost to tell a side story that Dau wants to get across.

Now, all criticism aside, I really did enjoy this book. I read the entire book in one night, which is admittedly, a short novel, but even still. The story reads quickly and with powerful emotions. The story jumps from past to present, but the transfer is fluid and not at all confusing. The plot is topical and relevant to today's atmosphere. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys quick reads and strong emotions. I look forward to future work by Stephen Dau.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Jonas.