Lily's Reviews > Cinder

Cinder by Marie Sexton

Mar 03, 12

bookshelves: mm-romance, fantasy-supernatural
Read in March, 2012

This book was a very sweet and imaginative twist on the traditional fairytale, which I enjoyed reading and at the same time wished it could be longer. I will not dwell on the positive features of the story, since these have been very well covered by other reviewers. I would only like to point out an aspect that, in my opinion, undermined the romantic relationship between the protagonists and made it appear less credible.

The friends-to-lovers approach was an inspired choice, giving depth to Eldon and Prince Xavier's bond. Their growing closeness became obvious, but they parted as just friends. Well, Eldon had already developed romantic feelings towards the Prince, while Xavier's behaviour did not hint at anything beyond friendship. Then Eldon attended the ball as a woman, Prince Xavier instantly fell in love with her/him and from that moment on something in the romance did not quite click for me.

In a nutshell, I felt that Xavier did not fall in love with Eldon the man. He was always looking for a woman as a life partner, would have been happy to marry her and simply remain good friends with Eldon. At no point in the story, until the very end, did the Prince seem to see Eldon the man as a potential romantic interest; something along the lines of - if the female version was an illusion, the man would do as a second choice. At least that was how my mind perceived the situation when reading.

Nevertheless, a recommended novella that should not disappoint any fan of Marie Sexton's writing.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cinder.