K.A. Barson's Reviews > The Disenchantments

The Disenchantments by Nina LaCour

Mar 01, 12

bookshelves: crowes-nest
Read in March, 2012

This is one of those books that makes you sad to see it end. I purposely took my time reading it because it was so good.

The cover is deceiving because it's not just a "girl" book. The POV MC is a guy. It's a great read for anyone who's been at a crossroads--in life, with a friend, with family--and been afraid of the next step or afraid of change. I'm not usually a fan of road trip books, but this one is so tightly written and so perfectly paced (doesn't meander and navel gaze like some do)that I actually didn't want it to end.

But more than that, LaCour has a way of creating these amazing, well-rounded, REAL characters that you care about and want to hang out with. They're the kind of characters that make you feel cooler just reading the book. They're the kind of characters that I can imagine a year from now asking, "I wonder what Colby and Bev are doing..." and then remember that they're not real people and feel a little sad.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Disenchantments.