Alyssa's Reviews > Smitten

Mar 01, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: kindle-free, pnr-merpeople
Read on March 27, 2012

Smitten is part one of a three-part story. I don't think I'll be investing in the following two parts as I wasn't really interested in the first one.
Alana Cassidy's parents died when she was thirteen and she was put into foster care. The foster family she is placed with is abusive and cruel. I spent most of the story being angry at the foster parents and the rest of the story being angry at Alana and Alana's foster brother Roman for not reporting their foster parents to the authorities. The foster children are whipped, beaten, starved, neglected, mistreated, etc etc etc. Fortunately the author saved us having to read about sexual abuse by not including that as one of the habits of the foster parents.

On top of my anger for the foster parents, I was also apalled by the disturbing amount of grammatical and spelling errors littered in the pages. Hear instead of here, staid instead of stayed, and a whole lot more. Normally I don't acknowledge spelling/grammatical errors in my reviews because most stories I read have so few they don't even disrupt the flow of the story, but this was not the case for Smitten.

Honestly, I would not recommend this book -- not even to people who like mermaids. Mostly because the only merperson in this book doesn't even show up until close to the end. And I didn't even care for his character. Maybe because his name was Jonas and I'm just reminded of that juvenile boy-band everytime it pops up.

Was there anything I liked about this book? No, not really. But it was short enough that by the time I would have given up and abandoned it, I was already done.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Smitten.