James Rada Jr.'s Reviews > Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

Mar 01, 12

bookshelves: history

I had read Seabiscuit years ago and remembered enjoying it. Then someone at church told me that I should try this one.

There's an intro to this book that doesn't fit. It's a scene that doesn't happen until the middle of the book. Then the book begins with Louie Zamperino's (sp?) story. This is a little slow (which may be why an exciting intro was added).

However, one Louie discovers his talent for running, the story takes off and I was engrossed. Laura Hillenbrand has a great talent for setting a scene.

Through Zamperino's life, you get to experience the 1936 Olympics, life as a WWII bombadier and existence as a POW. Not only did I learn new information, but I was caught up in the story.

It is definitely a book you should read if you're a history fan. It will also leave you wondering how Americans today have become such a soft people. This is a man who endured true torture, not what we call torture today. He's also a man who faced his personal demons, steeled himself and overcame.

Though I'm not sure that he was totally unbroken as the title suggests, he certainly rebuilt his life and overcame.

This is one of those books that I finish and think, "I wish I could have written it."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unbroken.