Hannah's Reviews > Spanking Shakespeare

Spanking Shakespeare by Jake Wizner

U 50x66
Mar 01, 12

Read in February, 2012

Spanking Shakespeare was an amazing book. This was a fantastic story of a high school boy with a melodramatic look on his life. What I loved most about this book, was that it sounded like a high school boy. No editing and that made this book edgy. It was well-written too! It made sense throughout the whole story on what he was feelings he had. Shakespeare had some pretty tough times in this book. So unless the author has a crazy imagination, then he must have had a friend or him go through similar experiences.
The experiences not only make most of the book, but they support the point. Shakespeare has a messed up life. He knows that and so do the readers. The main point of this book though was to get across that no matter how awful or dramatic you’re life might seem at the time, it really isn’t that bad. This helped me a little bit. Life right now is hard, but it will define me, like it defined Shakespeare. Without his crazy, dramatic, and possibly traumatizing experiences, Shakespeare wouldn’t be… well Shakespeare. Although this is an incredibly good read, it may not be the most appropriate.
I would only be able to recommend this book to the freshman class and up. Not only for the brutality of the experiences, but because once you are in high school, you understand a little better. The effect of this book was different from any other that I have ever read. It was rollercoaster of boy-hormones described with scary reality. One of my favorite parts would have to be when Shakespeare and his friend Neil go to see ‘the doctor’. That’s all I can say because if I tell any more it will give it away. Lastly, all I can say is read this book. It’s a quick read and is completely worth the time and laughs you will have.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spanking Shakespeare.