Christine's Reviews > Will

Mar 01, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: brits, young-adult, books-guys-would-like, read-in-2012
Read from March 18 to April 03, 2012

There are some really great aspects of this book, but there are also some not-so-great parts too. I'll start with the good:

1. This book is told from the POV of an average teenage boy. He gets decent grades, and he's accepted by all, but he's by no mean the superhero of the school.
2. There's a gay teen boy as a secondary character, which I think is really important to include in YA lit.
3. The book focuses on stereotypes and how death and loss affects teens, two big issues, without being too heavy handed.
4. It's a fast and easy read (even though it took me what felt like forever to get through it).

The bad:
1. There's a lot of Australian slang. The author includes a brief rundown on Aussie football, but I thought it was unnecessary since most of the terms weren't used in the book, and they definitely weren't the focus of the book. I'd rather see a better ending than a football guide.
2. I HATED the ending. Very inconclusive, and I feel a little cheated after spending all that time with these characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Will.