Mallory Hall's Reviews > Father Goriot

2592078
Apr 15, 12

bookshelves: french, classics, fiction-daughters
Read from March 01 to April 15, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Father Goriot.

Quotes Mallory Liked

Honoré de Balzac
“Our heart is a treasury; if you pour out all its wealth at once, you are bankrupt.”

Honoré de Balzac
“He hesitated till the last moment, but finally dropped them in the box, saying, "I shall win!"--the cry of a gambler, the cry of the great general, the compulsive cry that has ruined more men than it has ever saved.”

Honoré de Balzac
“Ah! What pleasure it must be to a woman to suffer for the one she loves!”

Honoré de Balzac
“Perhaps it is only human nature to inflict suffering on anything that will endure suffering, whether by reason of its genuine humility, or indifference, or sheer helplessness.”

Honoré de Balzac
“The human heart may find here and there a resting-place short of the highest height of affection, but we seldom stop in the steep, downward slope of hatred.”

Honoré de Balzac
“If youth were not ignorant and timid, civilization would be impossible.”
tags: youth

Honoré de Balzac
“Is there any instinct more deeply implanted in the heart of man than the pride of protection, a protection which is constantly exerted for a fragile and defenceless creature?”

Honoré de Balzac
“Where some one else's welfare is concerned, a young girl becomes as ingenious as a thief. Guileless where she herself is in question, and full of foresight for me,--she is like a heavenly angel forgiving the strange incomprehensible sins of earth.”

Honoré de Balzac
“Such is life. It is no cleaner than a kitchen; it reeks like a kitchen; and if you mean to cook your dinner, you must expect to soil your hands; the real art is in getting them clean again, and therein lies the whole morality of our epoch.”

Honoré de Balzac
“Some day you will find out that there is far more happiness in another's happiness than in your own.”

03/03/2012 page 27