Diane's Reviews > The Giver

The Giver by Lois Lowry

Mar 06, 12

bookshelves: 2012-read, 4-star, dystopian, childrens-fiction, light-reading
Read from March 01 to 06, 2012

It is hard for me to separate this book from the act of reading it aloud to my own 12 year old (who is studying it this grading period in his 6th grade literature class). For his sake, I'd probably give it five stars because I think it is a simply written and well-handled book and it is one of the few dystopian books for the 12 and under set. I can't give it five stars for my own sake because it *is* a bit simply written.

You can read more extensive reviews and tearings-apart-the-plot-and-message in the other reviews on this site but I would recommend this book to anyone looking for something a little more intellectual to read to their 10-12 year old. If you DON'T have a child, I would still recommend this book if you are a fan of YA/children's literature and dystopian stuff because it is a good light read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Giver.

03/01/2012 page 26
15.0% "Jet is reading this for school (it has been a great year for books in English: the hobbit, followed by a wrinkle in time, followed by this) and so of course I butt right in and offered to read it to him as our bedtime book. We started it last night."
03/02/2012 page 39
22.0% "Just finished the bit where Jonas had his dream with Stirrings & gets the pill to do away with them. Jet, who hasn't had any Stirrings yet as far as I know, looked to get squirmy when I started explaining what Stirrings were (vaguely) & and then we more talked about negative emotions (jealousy, angst,etc.) that can result from them & why they might be considered a good thing to do away with."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Diane I don't envy his teacher having to discuss that chapter with a room full of 6th graders.