Paul's Reviews > Rendezvous in Black

Rendezvous in Black by Cornell Woolrich

7204971
Mar 10, 12

Read from March 01 to 06, 2012

The epitome of noir in that it was a very dark story. The author's theme here is the randomness and inevitability of death within a world that offers little in the way of real justice. There also is a reflection of the concept of Original Sin -- that there are no true "good" people in the world and that all are capable of doing some wrong out of selfishness.

I found portions of the plot too reliant on coincidence and the antagonist far too able to seemingly do anything without fail. I also found the ending a bit abrupt for my tastes and somewhat unsatisfying although the journey to it was most enjoyable*. Woolrich is able to create great scenes of foreboding and suspense -- it is during these passages that the book is at its best even if there is the need for a willing suspension of disbelief.

I would give it three and a half stars -- I more than liked it.

*This seems to be a feature of the Noir genre from all eras of it. Very little in the way of epilogues once the climax is reached.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rendezvous in Black.