Danielle Pitts's Reviews > The House on Mango Street

The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros

F_50x66
Mar 01, 12

Read in February, 2012

The House on Mango Street is written by Sandra Cisneros. This book is composed in a different format than other books because it is made up of a series of vignettes. These vignettes are neither poetry nor a chapter in a book. They are short stories that could stand by themselves but also work well in the novel. The vignettes are not chronological in action but the themes and characters are consistent. Esperanza is the main character who narrates the book in first person. She is a young adolescent that talks of her life on Mango Street. She is disappointed that she lives in the house on Mango Street because before living there, she lived in various apartments with her family. Her parents promised her that they would move into a house after living in apartments. She had such a vision of this house but when she moved onto Mango Street, the house far from met her expectations. She is ashamed by the house throughout the entire book and wants to leave it and have one of her dreams in the future.

I enjoyed reading The House on Mango Street. It was a quick and easy read. The style of the book, written in vignettes, was new and different for me. We saw clips of Esperanza’s life and learned about many other characters as well. Esperanza was an innocent, refreshing character who still played with her friends outside and loved her family. She saw other horrors around her, like the death of a baby and the bruising on her Sally’s body from her father’s beatings. She saw male domination over women: Raphaela was locked in her husband’s house because he thought she was too beautiful and Sally’s husband did not allow for company to visit. I especially enjoyed the ending because she had made a wish during the “Three Sisters” vignette. Their response caught her off guard because Esperanza’s wish was to leave the house on Mango Street. They told her that she when she leaves, she must always remember to come back. She must not forget her roots. Then during the “Mango Says Goodbye Sometimes” vignette, Esperanza supposes that friends and neighbors will ask, in the future, what will happen when she decides to leave. She says in response to her leaving that “They will not know I have gone away to come back. For the ones I left behind. For the ones that cannot out (Cisneros 110). Though Esperanza’s dream is to leave this house, her family and friends are more important to her and she will come back to them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House on Mango Street.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 2: by Scott (new)

Scott Hey I have a question. Is this book explicit? Moreover, does it have sexually explicit scenes? Thanks!

Danielle Pitts Not at all! It's all-ages appropriate.