Jen's Reviews > The Declaration

The Declaration by Gemma Malley

Mar 01, 12

Read from February 28 to 29, 2012

I think the biggest selling point I found in this book is the drug "Longevity". You hear all the time how developing a drug to inhibit the aging process would be wonderful and it is known as the 'Holy Grail' of science. However, you don't think about the fact that if everyone is going to live for ever, then Earth's population is bound to increase dramatically. How they solve it in this world is simple: the Declaration, a document signed by everyone and anyone who wants to take Longevity. Simply put, the Declaration states that the signatory shall not attempt procreation. As a result, the world is full of "old people" (kept young internally by Longevity) and any child born is known as a "Surplus".

The negativity associated with Surplus's is quite frankly disturbing and infuriating at the same time. I very easily empathise with the character's for this reason although Anna, the main character, is a bit detached. I feel like Malley is using the pretext of this world as a satirical view to the relationship between the youth of the world and the elderly. This point is further elaborated on in the next book in the series "The Resistance".

All in all, a good book and something that got me thinking hard about how much we're willing to give up to live forever.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Declaration.