James's Reviews > Trash

Trash by Andy Mulligan

M 50x66
May 02, 2012

Trash Review
Trash by Andy Mulligan is a superbly written book, set in a third world country within our near future. It’s sole purpose is to tell us how even under the most unlikely circumstances, our lives can change. Paradoxically in this book....through trash. Following his critically acclaimed book Ribblestroop, Andy Mulligan explains to us through the three main characters how if you are willing and convicted, there will always be that pot of gold waiting for you over the rainbow. With all this in mind, and starting from another day at the trash dump, Andy Mulligan starts to unfurl a story full of precariousness as the characters Gardo, Raphael, and Rat each take turns telling their own discrete views. Sister Olivia and Father Julliard’s voice can also be discerned through this book, but it mostly revolves around the mysterious bag that Raphael found in the trash. I would strongly recommend this book firstly, to those who are interested in looking for an easy, light, yet tasteful read, and secondly, to those who would like to learn more about the truth of our world, and just how dark it can really be.
Something that really struck me about this book is when Gardo deceives Sister Olivia into getting him into the prison to see Gabriel Olondriz. What struck me about this part is that Sister Olivia knows that Gardo is up to something bad; Yet, she still goes through with his plan because she believes that his actions are for something worthwhile. Considering the risk involved, any child who would try and attempt what Gardo did would have to have a lot of courage.This part also really struck me because of what Gardo thought and felt at the time. Described with perfect discreteness, Gardo’s point of view struck me because it would take a lot of passion, conviction and belief in order for him to have the guts to betray someone who trusted him; In this case, Sister Olivia.
Something else that really struck me about this book is when Gardo, Rat, and Raphael meet up in the poor quarter at the cemetery and find the daughter of the man that was killed in his quest to uncover the corruption in the country. The way that Mulligan describes the girl is magical, yet extremely creepy, for the girl has an extremely calm disposition considering the situation that she’s in. What makes the scene even more deathlier is when she says she has been waiting for her dad to come back, and to carry her home. This is all said as she sits on a tree, right above her dad’s coffin. The description of Rat’s reaction also brings the scene to life, as he calmly starts to accept what is happening through his perspective of the event. This strikes me because I believe that if that story were an actual event in real life, then none of the characters would have reacted in the way that they did.
Last but not least, I believe that the moment when the three characters find the money, is the most striking. This is because metaphorically, it stands for the freedom and hope of a country that has been devastated by corruption. It is the evidence that there actually is corruption in the country; a problem that the impoverished had been looking to solve. What the pile of money first and foremost stood for though, was the blood, sweat, and tears that Jose Angelico shed in order to not only become a country’s hero, but also become the beacon of light that the impoverished were looking for.
In candor, I would give this book 4-5 stars, for it is not only a light read, but it also indirectly tells us what not to make our future look like. This is something that I feel that our current generation needs to be more conscious of. For this book portrays only the near future. I would definitely recommend it to not only middle schoolers, but to high schoolers too. Following Ribblestrop, Trash is food for thought and definitely a whole-hearted two thumbs up from me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trash.