Jill's Reviews > Mystery Man

Oct 08, 14

bookshelves: contemporary-romance
Recommended to Jill by: Nikki
Read in March, 2012

Gwendolyn Kidd and Cabe "Hawk" Delgado.

Ordinarily Kristen Ashley's books would not be the type of romances I'd read. Let alone enjoy. Gwen is an annoying heroine at times with really slutty behaviour. She sleeps with the hero for eighteen months and doesn't know his name. Then drools over not one but two other guys. The hero is a bit of a controlling alpha. The plot is OTT and pretty unbelievable. And I am seriously beginning to think that all Kristen Ashley's heroes went to the same school - "Babe". And all her heroines swam in the same gene pool - tall, long legs, big hair and all tits and ass.

Entertaining as her books are, others may take issue with her writing style that often reads like an unedited draft with typos, rambling sentences and lack of punctuation. Be prepared for an enjoyable read, albeit at times frustrating and wordy.

Steam: 2.5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mystery Man.

03/01/2012
54.0% "I seriously didn't need to start this last night five minutes before bedtime...." 2 comments
03/02/2012
100.0% "Another night with 2-3 hours sleep. Thanks friends! Lol!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Nikki WOOOOPPPPPPP! God I hope you like it!

message 2: by Leslie (new) - added it

Leslie Jill, this one looks really good! I may have to read it soon! Looking forward to seeing what you think! :)

Carrie I'm so excited you're reading this!! It's one of my faves by KA!!! HAWK! ;)

Jill @ Nikki, Leslie & Carrie
Started last night and...couldn't stop! Till me eyes started crossing from lack of sleep.
I'm about halfway.

Carrie WooHoo!!!!

Searock Oh yeah, baby!!!!!

Carrie Terrific review, Jill! Addictive is the perfect adjective for KA's stories! completely entertaining, sexy, and addictive!! :)

Jill Thanks Carrie! And you've described KA's books perfectly!

Karla Great review Jill, as always.
Super, double, extra uh-oh!
The hot-o-meter started ringing like crazy as hot guys descended on me, my car and Tack from two directions.

I can picture it all in my head, I loved that scene. I'm going to go look at my Hawk pic...yum! I have one where he has his super cool aviators on. I really want to read the book again, but that should hold me over!

message 10: by Jill (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jill Thanks Karla! I'd love to have the time to read more of KA's books.

And I went looking at your review for your Hawk, Karla. Where are you hiding him??

Karla Oh...I never posted him, but if you'd like to see him I can show him to you.

message 12: by Jill (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jill Karla wrote: "Oh...I never posted him, but if you'd like to see him I can show him to you."

Yes please!

message 14: by Leslie (new) - added it

Leslie Uh....I think something just stirred. ;)

message 15: by Jill (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jill Oh.My.Goodness. Thankyou Karla!
Post that beautiful man on your review. Now!

Karla Ya know that's Wendy's thing and I don't want to rain on her parade. She's the original "Image Goddess". I had it over on the blog and KA saw it and loved him. You can put him in yours if you want and just delete my comment.

message 17: by Jill (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jill Karla wrote: "Ya know that's Wendy's thing and I don't want to rain on her parade. She's the original "Image Goddess". I had it over on the blog and KA saw it and loved him. You can put him in yours if you want ..."

Thanks for the offer Karla. That is so sweet. But I kinda feel the same, that's Wen's thing. I think I've only ever put one image up and that was from the goddess herself.

But we can leave him right there if you like. (I may need to revise this review often!)

Karla LOL...sounds good to me!! We'll just let him simmer right where he is!

message 19: by Jill (new) - rated it 2 stars

Thanks Karla! My goodness, look at that arm!

message 20: by Jill (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jill Mary Elizabeth wrote: "KA cast a spell on you again ;) good work Jilly ..."

You know me ME, that normally her books wouldn't work for me. But they are so unbelievably enjoyable!

Karla Yeah...love the veins!

message 22: by Jill (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jill Karla wrote: "Yeah...love the veins!"

I know! The veins! They are so incredibly hot!!

message 23: by Leslie (new) - added it

Leslie He has veins?? I only noticed his pecks....ummmmm!

Carrie Karla wrote: ""

YUM! I love Hawk!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter @Jill
Great review! I'm pleasantly surprised that you liked it because I thought that Hawk would not be "your" hero...

@Karla
Incredibly hot, hot, hot pic!!!!!

Karla @Baba,
Thanks Baba. Yeah, he's just simmering here and hanging out with everyone!

KatLynne LOL...Jilly loved this review and your comments are spot on. We shouldn't like these characters or the books:) But KA has that magic and we LOVE the characters and can't stop reading her stories!:)!

Nice review!

KatLynne @ Karla, love your Hawk!! He is one of my favs!

Karla KatLynne wrote: "@ Karla, love your Hawk!! He is one of my favs!"

Thanks KatLynne, Jill and I are sharing him, but I'm sure he doesn't mind a few more women tagging along!

message 30: by Jill (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jill @ Baba
Overall, I really enjoyed the story. Cabe I liked (Gwen not so much) but you're right he's not exactly my type.

But I really loved seeing Tack. And I really, really loved seeing Mr 10.5 Himself, Detective Mitch Lawson. Even the little time he was in this story, he had my heart fluttering!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Jill wrote: "@ Baba

LOL My Love for Tack and Mitch started when I was reading MM, that's for sure!

message 32: by Jill (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jill @ KatLynne
Thanks KatLynne. So glad I finally read this after a lot of encouraging (from Nikkster especially). Loved seeing Tack & Mitch for the first time!

And I agree KA's stories are truly addictive.

Oh, and if Karla's okay with sharing our man Hawk, you're welcome to join the party!!

KatLynne Ok Jill and Karla...I'm joining the party:) I loved him just about as well as Tate!

This is going to be my next reread and now I have Karla's pic in my mind...Nice!:)

message 34: by Nikki (last edited Mar 03, 2012 08:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nikki I'm glad you enjoyed it, Jilly. I think the reason I loved this so much was that it had such a funny, exciting, ensemble feel to it. I guess Gwen's actions were slutty to an extent but that sort of stuff doesn't bother me when the context of a situation comes to play. I felt that Gwen and Hawk were just as bad as each other in regards to their arrangement.

And as for her swooning over Mitch and Tack, well hell. I could understand that. :) But to each their own, and I totally get why Gwen and her deal would rub my girls up the wrong way!

Totally loving The 'Burg still, Jilly. Hope you're having a great reading week, sweetness.

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Karla wrote: "Oh...I never posted him, but if you'd like to see him I can show him to you."

OMG! That is 100% Hawk. Yummy

message 36: by Jill (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jill Nikki wrote: "I'm glad you enjoyed it, Jilly. I think the reason I loved this so much was that it had such a funny, exciting, ensemble feel to it. I guess Gwen's actions were slutty to an extent but I guess that..."

@ Nikki
Thanks for bugging me (in a nice way) about reading MM Nikkster. So glad I did.

I am going to get to The Burg eventually. But this week we have the Outlander buddy-read. Hope you're having a good one Nikkster!

message 37: by Jill (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jill Kristen wrote: "Karla wrote: "Oh...I never posted him, but if you'd like to see him I can show him to you."

OMG! That is 100% Hawk. Yummy"

@ Kristen
That pic is nice isn't it Kristen? Thanks again Karla for sharing your man!

Oh, and welcome back Kristen. Hope your holiday was great!

Nikki Oh awesome, your favourite! Enjoy the buddy-read, Jilly and the rest of your weekend!

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Great review, Jill!

@Karla: Oh, my. Yummy!

I really need to meet Hawk and Mitch soon! So far, I could only find the second book on Kobo, though. I'll need to hunt down this one and Mitch's book.

message 40: by Jill (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jill @ Nikki
Thanks Nikkter!

@ Jaynie
Thankyou Jaynie! Hawk's pretty yummy. But...you will love Mitch Lawson! He is KA's best creation to date!

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Jill wrote: "@ Jaynie

I trust you, Jilly. Which is why I look forward to spending time with him. Hopefully not too far in the future. ^_^

Elizabeth (Liz) Great review, Jill!! Gwen was irritating at moments, for sure. Cabe was such a player dawg in the beginning that I had my real issues with him. And it was, especially the beginning, so freaking OTT!! And yet, somehow, when I'm done reading the book, I'm always like, OMG, I *love* this story!!! Still don't know how she does it. *shrug* But, I surrendered long ago and am slowly working my way through most of what she's written!

message 43: by Jill (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jill Elizabeth wrote: "Great review, Jill!! Gwen was irritating at moments, for sure. Cabe was such a player dawg in the beginning that I had my real issues with him. And it was, especially the beginning, so freaking ..."

Exactly Elizabeth! So much in KA's books that are OTT eye-rolling, whatever. But at the end I love them and line up to read the next. Lol! Glad you can relate!

message 44: by UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva (last edited Mar 12, 2012 10:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva Great review, Jill!

And ...

Oh.
My.
Cabe.

That's him. Right there... up there ^^^ that's him.

Wendy Great review Jilly! I can't believe, I missed this review from you, lol.

message 46: by Jill (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jill @ Dhes
Thanks Dhes. And Cabe is courtesy of Karla. Not bad, hey?

message 47: by Jill (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jill @ Wendy
Thanks Wen, and no problem!

♫~Sapfo~♫ Great review, Jill :))Spot on, sorry I hadnt noticed it sooner!

message 49: by Jill (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jill ♫~Sapfo~♫ wrote: "Great review, Jill :))Spot on, sorry I hadnt noticed it sooner!"

Thanks Sapfo! Hope you find a book of hers you love.

♫~Sapfo~♫ Thank you, Jill, hope so too.:))!