Alicia's Reviews > Don't Call Me Angel

Don't Call Me Angel by Alicia Wright Brewster

Mar 01, 2012

(Review from the author)
bookshelves: authored, angels, shorter, urban-fantasy, dragonfairy-press, own-kindle-amazon, places-i-know
Recommended for: Adults

Well, I wrote it . . . so I would just give it five stars.

Excerpt: Clicky-clicky

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Call Me Angel.

Damali Don't know about that cover art...

message 2: by Alicia (new) - added it

Alicia What don't you like about it?

Damali She looks naked. Is this erotica? I'll give you a pass if it is. :)

message 4: by Alicia (last edited Apr 27, 2012 06:25AM) (new) - added it

Alicia No :(
Damn.

I was actually thinking about getting it redone for other reasons, but what you just said honestly hadn't crossed my mind. I think it's a great illustration, but I'm not sure I like it as a book cover. If it's saying erotica, that's an even bigger problem. It's not even PNR; on the sliding scale between UF and PNR, this is pretty firmly on the UF side. There's a little tension, but that's not the primary plot by far.

Damali Get some other feedback though. I usually have the opposite opinion of other people. :)

message 6: by Alicia (new) - added it

Alicia Started a thread to ask folks what they thought here: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8.... No concerns about erotica, but that's a very small sample, unfortunately.

However, now that you mentioned it, I do see what you see. The way she's sitting, the naked torso. This in combination with my other concerns mean I'm in search of a new cover, if I can get one economically. I've got a slightly different concept in mind, and I've found a new cover artist. If it goes well, I'll switch it in a couple of weeks. We'll see . . .

Damali Do you have to pay before an artist starts work on the cover?

I like the more artsy covers like Melissa Marr's and Juliet Marillier's. I don't think the woman has to be half-naked, since mostly women are the ones buying anyway, I think. But that's just my opinion. :)

message 8: by Alicia (new) - added it

Alicia She actually does need to be half-naked, but that has nothing to do with sexual suggestion. There are other reasons to be naked, you know! Dirty birdy.

It depends on the artist, but the ones I work with always offer refunds if the client isn't satisfied, or they accept payment after the work is complete.

Kenesha Williams When is it going to be puplished, can't wait to read it!

message 11: by Alicia (new) - added it

Alicia Currently on target for June 15! :)

Kenesha Williams LORD DID YOU SEE MY SPELLING! This is why I can't get too hype, I start singing songs, posting "p.orn", and misspelling!

Congrats on your publication, can't wait until June!

message 13: by Lily (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lily Congratulations Alicia!!!!

message 14: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph Congrats, Alica!

In reading the comments...I can see the erotica tilt. TBH...I thought it was a PNR after seeing the cover and looking at the description. Maybe if she didn't look so clean? Maybe looked a little more desperate?

message 15: by Alicia (new) - added it

Alicia Thanks for the congrats. I'm super excited! And thanks for the input on the cover. I'm working on getting it redone, so now is the perfect time for me to hear these things.

K.nicole . . . I'm gonna need to hear one of these songs--preferably in the form of a music video.

message 16: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph ;-)

If you don't mind my two cents...

I would keep the basic pic since you like it. Then I would rip and dirty up her pants, dishevel her hair, dim the sheen on her wings and dishevel them, too. Scrapes, cuts, bruises, dirt etc on her body. Something to make her look like she literally just clawed her way out of hell.

message 17: by Alicia (new) - added it

Alicia I like the dirt, scrapes, and bruises! I'm going to message that input to my new designer right now.

In my new concept, her whole body won't be visible, so her pants aren't going to come into play. Not sure how the hair and wing mussing will work with the new concept either, but I'm definitely going to keep it in mind as we move forward.

Thank you!

message 18: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph :-D

You're welcome.

Damali Love the new cover!

message 20: by Alicia (new) - added it

Alicia Thanks! :)

message 21: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph Me, too!

Kenya Wright Even though I Beta-read this.... would it be bad if I entered the giveaway? I want a print copy!

message 23: by Cf (new) - rated it 2 stars

Cf I can't find the book at Barnes and Noble. I would like to preorder it.

message 24: by Alicia (new) - added it

Alicia Hi Cf!

*sigh* I've contacted Barnes & Noble about the pre-order page. They usually set it up automatically after receiving the book data from various databases. I'm not sure what happened in this case, but I hope it gets fixed soon. It is up for pre-order on Amazon, and I hope it will be up on B&N very soon. (My fingers are crossed!)

message 25: by Alicia (new) - added it

Alicia Cf wrote: "I can't find the book at Barnes and Noble. I would like to preorder it."

B&N pre-order page is up!