Londonmabel Mabel's Reviews > Mindsight: The New Science of Personal Transformation

Mindsight by Daniel J. Siegel

Mar 01, 2012

bookshelves: nf-selfhelp-psych, nf-science, 2own-nonfiction
Read from February 28 to March 27, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 1

An excellent book about how the mind/brain works, and how it can be changed. Siegel provides a good overview of the different parts of the brain, and then each chapter is devoted to a different client and how he helped them "integrate" the different parts of their minds, to help their mental health issues (trauma, OCD, unemotional etc.)

There isn't a lot of detail about the exercises themselves (meditation, body scan, etc). He describes them, but this isn't a workbook.

I also took off one star because, though he's trying hard to make the science understandable to a lay audience, his explanations are sometimes dense and hard to grasp. Sometimes I had to turn off the stereo and really concentrate.

But I do think you'll leave the book with a good idea of what can be accomplished with a trusted therapist who knows how to employ these techniques. And at a minimum you'll be convinced that it's time to learn how to meditate! ;-)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mindsight.