Arthur's Reviews > Treasure Island

Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

Oct 22, 08

Recommended for: Everyone. It is part of the literary foundation we live on.
Read in October, 2008, read count: 1

J.M. Barrie said of this book, "Over Treasure Island, I let my fire die in winter without knowing I was freezing."

What more than "Here, here, Mr. Barrie!" can I say?

Perhaps the most amazing thing I've re-discovered by reading this book is just how far from the literary tree our reading and writing skills have fallen. The complexities of sentence structure and vocabulary offer a glimpse into a world long forgotten.

Still, even as I, at times, struggled through it, the adventure is simple and timeless. Stevenson has a knack for evoking fear, especially at the beginning, with relatively little detail; another lost art in the visual world in which we live. What was more amazing to me, however, was how much this story drew in my boys. Usually, I'd read a chapter or two after putting them to bed. Then, come morning, over breakfast, I'd relate to them the story from the night before, so that on subsequent mornings, some of the first words out of their mouths were, 'Dad, what happened in your pirate book?'. When I hadn't read, they were disappointed; I was leaving them hanging for a whole day. When I did read, they loved it! And who wouldn't? It's about pirates and treasure and the ocean and murder and betrayal and revenge and triumph.

As a boy trapped in a poor-excuse-for-a-man's body, we need more adventures out there for boys. We need books that draw boys in again, and challenge them to read and write at levels now reserved for college and an elite yet fading group of storytellers.

To Robert Louis Stevenson, I say, "Right on, my man! Right on!" Pun, perhaps, intended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Treasure Island.