Jill Furedy's Reviews > And So it Goes: Kurt Vonnegut: A Life

And So it Goes by Charles J. Shields

Feb 29, 2012

liked it
Read in February, 2012

I found this to be a fairly straight forward biography, and the author stayed out of the narrative for the most part, so I don't have a strong opinion of it. There were places I wanted more info (what did happen on Loree's last visit? What did Jill's friends or family think of their relationship since his side were so clearly against it...and she won't talk!), but there was a lot if ground covered. I was sorry the biographer didn't get to spend more time with Kurt, but then again he wasn't a happy man towards the end ( not that he was often happy at any age), so perhaps his hindsight on his life would have been skewed anyway. I learned a lot about Kurt from this that I'd not known... I enjoyed a few of his books and short stories, saw his 'man in a hole' lecture, but didn't know of him other than through his books. It was a tough life, that he made tougher on himself. So while it was interesting, I don't know if it was enjoyable. Which is probably why I tend to read fiction instead of nonfiction! But some of the anecdotes will add context to his novels for me, and I'm glad to have learned more about an author whose books have always intrigued me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read And So it Goes.