Cassie's Reviews > Secret Letters

F_50x66
Aug 14, 12

bookshelves: books-in-2012
Read on August 13, 2012

The premise for this book is original and I was excited to read it. I love all things Sherlock Holmes.

The things I liked:

The deductive skills Dora (the main character) and Peter showed. They were fairly good deductions and believable.

Peter Cartwright himself was not bad for a hero. I understood his motivations and I liked him in general.

Dr Watson makes a few small appearances! :)

The things I did not like:

The dialogue was modern. And did not ring true for Victorian England. Also the dialogue did not ring true for modern people either. Just some of the things the male characters said was completely baffling. What men apologize for things they haven't done?

Also, Dora was frustrating for at least the first 3/4 of the book. She has modern thoughts on being able to take care of herself. And gets frustrated when people try and take care of her and notice that she is a girl. But then she is annoyed because one character thinks only of her brain and not of her face! And dancing on table, really? I know that Dora is supposed to be a maverick and not your average Victorian 16 year old. But she was so far modern that I never believed that she lived in the Victorian Era.

Not enough descriptions between the relations between Dora's mother and Sherlock Holmes. I never could quite believe it was real. Just knowing Sherlock Holmes' character as well as I do that it didn't seem real. But perhaps the author is setting us up for a sequel where more of that will be discussed.

This was fine. I read it one day. Not a waste of time but people who love Sherlock Holmes will probably running to re read some of old stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Secret Letters.