Kenyatta's Reviews > Pretty Like Us

Pretty Like Us by Carol Lynch Williams

Feb 29, 2012

Read in March, 2012

Beauty McElwrath, seems to be anything but what her name suggest. As she enters sixth grade, she already knows that she will remain an outcast like all the other years of school. The fact that her 26 year old mom is dating her teacher doesn’t seem to be helping the situation. However when Alane Shriver , a twelve year old girl who suffers from the aging disease progeria, shows up, Beauty is encouraged to befriend her by all the important people in her life, but Beauty sees another opportunity. She attempts to make her own life better by taunting Alane, hoping this would put her in the cool group. However as the story progresses and they are put in a dangerous situation, she realizes that, she no longer wants to be that person.

In this book a girl faces the challenge of being a true friend when it may be the hardest thing to do. As a teacher this book helps in acknowledging that beauty is more that skin deep and that inner beauty is far more important than the outer appearances. A small token that I gathered from this book is that dreams do come true, however I will not say any more than that since that would be a spoiler. However I do feel that this book can be used in a sixth grade classroom in order to eliminate bullying. Carol Lynch Williams did a fine job of tapping into the young adolescents mind. I really enjoyed this book!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pretty Like Us.