liberal sprinkles's Reviews > Creative Pilgrimage: An Exploration of Artful Gatherings and Discovery of Innovative Art Techniques

Creative Pilgrimage by Jenny Doh

F_50x66
The book is very nicely presented with lovely photos but is somewhat disappointing content-wise. It contains three elements: information about some art retreats, profiles of 14 selected artists and one project each from these artists.

The pages about the art gatherings read like PR brochures - a short summary about the activities and workshop and a few quotes from the founders. The information is scanty and I couldn't really tell the difference between the various creative gatherings or what made them unique other than the locations and set-ups.

The introductions to the artists and their teaching philosophies and styles are likewise basic. I was already familiar with most of them so I didn't learn much. Most of the artists featured are mixed-media artists and the projects they share are limited to mixed-media paintings, with a few tutorials on creating ornaments and decorative objects. It would have been more of a balanced book if the artists chosen included those with known skills in sewing, jewelry-making, surface design and textile arts - representing a wider range of arts and crafts that are practised and for which workshops are offered at the retreats mentioned.

Most of the tutorials are guides to making similar projects, not detailed how-to's. To get the most out of the projects, you'd have to already be familiar with most of the techniques used. One of the steps in the project on making a mixed-media fabric journal actually tells the reader to Google video tutorials on quilt binding!

Overall, the book felt like a glossy magazine to me - very digestible but superficial. I enjoyed reading it but didn't learn much and won't need to touch it again.

2.5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Creative Pilgrimage.