Brenda's Reviews > Promised To Another

Promised To Another by Laura V. Hilton

Feb 29, 2012

Read in February, 2012

I have been fortunate enough to read all three books in the Amish of Seymour series and have become a Laura V. Hilton fan. She has the writing skills to easily transport the reader right into the heart of the stories that she is telling, allowing me to envision the characters, setting and drama so vividly it makes me feel as if I have been transported to another place.

In "Promised To Another" we get the story of Annie Beiler and Joshua Esh. Annie is the local Amish schoolteacher, she is always excited about history and learning which often gets her in trouble and puts her teaching job in jeopardy, something she can't afford to lose. You see her steady beau Luke Schwartz jumped the fence to become English and no one else has even noticed her, or at least that's what she thinks. When Luke makes an unexpected appearance after a singing and offers to take her home she turns him down flat but her refuses to listen, that is until Joshua Esh steps in and offers her a ride home, a rider home with the other girl he is already taking home. While the men who came to Seymour from Pennsylvania came looking for wives Joshua didn't instead he came to see a different part of the world but has plans to return to PA. He has earned the reputation of a player because he is always taking a different Amish girl home after singings, but that doesn't stop Annie from noticing him.Thing is Luke has decided to join the church and marry Annie and doesn't want to take no for an answer. Is Josh really a player or does Annie have the wrong idea about him? Will Annie give in and do what Luke wants or will she realize that there just might be someone else for her after all.

The beginning of this story started out a bit predictable but then the author started throwing in several different plot twists that had me changing my mind. I thought the characters in the story seemed very realistic, especially Annie. I could totally understand her love of history and wanting to share it with her pupils. I enjoyed getting to know the different sides of Annie, there was the Annie who stood strong when her beau left her, but we also got a glimpse of an insecure Annie wondering if she would ever have someone of her own, we also saw someone who had a zest for teaching and wanted to share her love of learning with her pupils even though the board members didn't always see things her way. I thought Josh was a good male lead, and while he kept a secret from Annie I still liked him. I liked the unconventional twist the relationship took toward the end of the story.

If your a fan of Amish fiction then your going to want to read this story. Even though it's the third book in The Amish of Seymour series it can easily be read as a stand alone work although this series is so good that your going to want to read all three books. On a scale of one to five I would easily give this whole series a six because it's just that good!

A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Promised To Another.