Amanda's Reviews > Until the Next Time

Apr 12, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: reviews, first-reads
Read from April 04 to 11, 2012

Until The Next Time is a thriller/romantic drama novel about a young man named Sean trying to discover what happened to his uncle Mike in the 1970s. Sean begins to read Mike's diary, which tells the story of how Mike ran to Ireland to escape prosecution. Sean himself travels to Ireland to clear Mike's name and find out what happened to him.

Sean learns in Ireland through the diary and through a young woman named Anne that Mike met a woman named Kate, who believed in reincarnation. Both Mike and Kate learn through Kate and Anne, respectively, about past lives, lost love, and starting over. Both Mike, through the journal, and Sean, must come to their own conclusions about reincarnation and Irish history.

I had trouble getting into this book. The premise is very intriguing, and I got about a fourth through before, in my opinion, the book started to get a little too confusing for me. There were a great many side characters, and keeping track of who was the reincarnation of who got very confusing to me. I also would have liked the subplot about the wars in Ireland to be a little more explained. New characters were introduced without explanation, and it was hard to keep them all straight. There was also a lot of repetition to the two character's journeys. I also wish Kate's and Anne's relationships with Mike and Sean had been more romantically expounded on without so much of the histories and lectures about Irish beliefs permeating many of their conversations. I also wish Anne and Sean's backstory would have been given more pages. I would recommend this book to fans of Irish history.

I received this book through Goodreads First Reads giveaway program.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Until the Next Time.

04/05/2012 page 44