Willow Brook's Reviews > Rainshadow Road

Rainshadow Road by Lisa Kleypas

Mar 03, 12

bookshelves: contemporary
Read from February 29 to March 02, 2012

I miss Kleypas' historicals, but am enjoying these Friday Harbor books. Rainshadow Road is second in a family series about middle brother Sam who meets glass artist Lucy at an extremely vulnerable time in her life. She has just been dumped by her narcissistic boyfriend who has been cheating on her with her sister, Alice. Kleypas does a great job of making you feel Lucy's anguish,,fury, shame and sense of helplessness. There is a long established history of her parents excusing and rescuing Alice. Meanwhile Lucy alternately seethed with resentment, felt guilty or did her own rescuing of the self-centered Alice. Until this latest act of betrayal, at least. With her family a wreck and her self-confidence shaken, Lucy has no interest in starting another relationship, even with the pretty much irresistible and charming Sam.

After resisting Sam's advances, circumstances throw them together in a very big way. This plot development I found a little hard to see happening in real life, but I went for it. At any rate, the two get to know each other and begin an affair. One thing I really like about this series is the relationships develop at a more normal pace than is often the case in Romancelandia. Sam is convinced he can't have a long term relationship because of his messed up childhood growing up with two alcoholics. Lucy determines to enjoy the time they have together while attempting to figure out how to deal with her horrid sister (I really couldn't stand that character!).

There is an element of "magic" in this book that I'm not sure that I like or not. It wasn't a paranormal book by any stretch, but there is this little theme of magic. What I did really like was the developing relationship between Sam and Lucy and seeing the family dramas in both of their lives. I look forward to reading the third brother, Alex's story. He is in seriously bad shape in this book so it will be interesting to see how Kleypas turns him into hero material.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rainshadow Road.